700r4

whats the deal with the 700r4? do you need a way to lock up the torque coverter on all 700r4’s or not … mine is from an 84 blazer. basically when i first put the tranny in 2 years ago it didnt shift well but after a little driving it shifted ok , now i left it set 6 months and its doing the same thing . i changed the filter and fluid and its not burnt or smell bad . what could it be?

if your just going on short runs it’s probably ok, but longer runs the tranny supposedly will get hot and burn up. so i’m told… most important thing on the 700r4 is the tv cable. make sure it’s adjusted right, and if your using a non oem carb, than make sure your using the right throttle lever thing for the tv cable

Those things are a pain in the ass. The converter should be locking up in fourth gear, if it doesn’t the tranny will overheat. If you want to use a non-lockup converter on one of those, you must make some internal fluid bypass changes. The other problem with those is that fucking TV cable. If it is maladjusted it can cause the clutches to fry in about a month or so because of insufficient hydraulic pressure.

what is a tv cable? is that the kick down that goes to the carb? when im traveling down the highway im fine its when i pull out that it seems to be sluggish in between shifts.

On a 700R4 that’s not a kick-down. It’s called a TV cable and it controls EVERYTHING about the way the trans runs & shifts. It controls hydraulic pressure inside the trans and has a direct result on HOW HARD the clutches grab (depending upon how much throttle is in use). The problem comes in when it is maladjusted so that there is too little pressure when the throttle is depressed. The clutches engage, but since there is not enough pressure to hold they start to slip. This slippage wears out your clutches in no time flat. Tranny shops will set this TV cable relationship with a pressure gauge connected to the trans. The idel setting is when just a slight pull on the cable causes an instaneous pressure rise to occur. You should pull your pan and see what’s in it. If there is alot of clutch material, you’re too late. If not, you need the TV cable properly adjusted.

what are you using for a carb? a quadrajet is fine. if it’s anything else, you must use the adapter piece on it or it will not work/move the tv cable right. that will cause goofy late/early hard/soft shifts.

If it is a QJet from a non-700r4 vehicle, it won’t be fine. It will fuck it up even worse than a Holley/Rochester. And to compound the problem, there is not an adapter made for the QJet’s, only the Holley/Rochesters

im running an edlebrock… i was also told that you could pull out the cable the whole way let it go back in an inch and crimp it so it wont move and it will be fine … that sounds strange to me but hell i dont know anything…

Um… that doesn’t sound like a very good idea to me. BowTieOverdrives makes a TV made EZ setup for most carbs (including Edelbrocks). It’s not cheap though, I think right around $100 or so.

Not a good idea. The way to set it is simply to connect it, then manually open the throttle to WOT (it should make 2 or 3 clicking noises as you do that). Once that is done, it’s set. Setting it isn’t usually the problem, its the geometry that is required between the cable itself and the bracketry on the carb/fi system. If that bracketry isn’t EXACTLY where it needs to be, you’ll be fucked.

yeah, i figured if he was using a qjet it was the one that probably was on the car before and had been hooked to the 700r4.

I’m not sure that tranny came out of an '84 blazer either. You got the motor from that vehicle, but it was a 4x4, and I’m pretty sure (since I picked up the tranny) it wasn’t a 4x4 tranny.

Did you ever hook up the cable right?

the plastic piece on the cable is broken so no its not been hooked up. i thought it was just a kickdown cable. i guess i need a tv cable and some carb parts…

More money.

You need to just drive around listening to pink floyd, Money…:smiley:

just for the sake of argument if the cable is pulled out wont that make the car shift hard all the time since it would not be slipping and the tranny would be at full preasure?

That would cause LSS (Long Spring Syndrome). - See part 3 below.

Here ya go, read all about it:

Part 1 - Stock TV cable system
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
Part 2 - TV feed fluid
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/part2.php
Part 3 - illnesses
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/part3.php

If you can get past the goofy random colored text…lol

Quite informative. :cool:

Could I get the cliff notes version? What is LSS?

This condition signals for higher line pressures and instructs the up shift control circuits to start delaying the up shift timing before the accelerator pedal is even depressed at all! Common symptoms of LSS are late hard up shifts compared to the accelerator pedal position during light to medium throttle driving situations. Late hard shifts during light throttle driving situations gets very old in a hurry. Downshifting may occur too early and can sometimes causes “shuttling” between overdrive (4th) and 3rd gears. The transmission may produce double down shifts at inappropriate times, of example, it shifts from overdrive (4th) down to second gear (2nd) gear when a shift into third (3rd) would have been far more appropriate.

Cool thanks.

You just described everything my 4th gen F-body is doing.

Does the 4l60 use the same style TV cable?

computer