802.11g wireless ethernet setup help

ok, so I have my modem run to my wireless router (linksys) and all the connections are good.

I try to connect to the network thru wondows (xp pro media center) and it just thinks and thinks and eventually just stops (doesnt give me any kind of dialog or anything like that). Sometimes a balloon will pop up and tell me that it couldnt connect… wtf?

my signal strength is at the maximum

is it because a computer isnt directly hooked upto my router or something stupid like that (I know it had to be when I installed the software that came with it)? I’m on my floor in the living room typing this trying to figure this ish out.

just an fyi… having my computer on the floor in the living room is the only way I can have internet access as I dont have long enough cables (here anyway… I have a spool at the rents house, but figured I might as well take advantage of my wireless card) so I’d like to get the wireless working

thanks
-steve

ok, updated my router firmware (it’s a linksys wireless g broadband router btw) and upgraded my wireless nic drivers (belkin wireless g plus) and my signal is showing as connected, but where the wireless network icon is in the taskbar, theres an attention (yellow triangle with a “!”) symbol.

When I click on it, it tells me that the strength is good, connected at 48.0 Mbps but then says “Limited or no connectivity”. I tried logging off and back on and still not luck. I went into the advanced settings in the router and for the network per the manual and still no luck.

any ideas?

ehhh… screw it. Taking a drive out to the parents house after work and picking up my spool of cable today (and taking back the router)

sick of dealing with it

yep i have a similiar prob with my laptop…its annoying

did u release/renew the ip addy?, try that

oh tell me about it… I was up until 2am trying to figure it out :tdown:

kevin, yeah… tried that aswell. I got to the point where I was so out of ideas that I started changing random settings in the firewall/network/router and before I knew it nothing worked anymore lol (not even a land line connection).

so like I said, I give up… the router wins. going to hook it up the old fashion way (starting windows clean aswell)

on a side note… I dig Adelphia :tup: real fast

fuckin right doggy, hope you got the premier

i hate ltd or no connectivity, as soon as i hear that doing their tech support, i’m usually about ready to transfer them pretty much anywhere else scuba steve

EDIT: what about the verizon DSL… didn’t they have something like a guaranteed 5 down and you have to wait til the waterfront develops or something?

not sure about the verizon thing.

but I’ll tell ya, I have all the luck :rolleyes:. Went all the way out to Angloa to get a spool of networking cable I had laying around then all the way back home. Made a line, moved my computer back into my room and hooked it all up.

When I turned the computer on, it kept saying my network was unplugged. I figured I might had done something while messing with random windows network settings trying to get the wireless to work, but since I was starting windows fresh anyway, it didnt matter much.

I get windows re-installed and still got the error. I tried using a different cable and still no luck. Check the drivers and that the harware was working ok and everything checked out. So I’ve come to the conclusin that I might of fried the card (or atleast the interface for it since it tells me that it;s working fine).

so I’m using usb at the moment :tdown:

Steve, are you sure your not using a crossover cable? instead of a normal cat5e cable?

if your using xover it wont work.

i had that problem few months ago…ended up updated my wireless card drivers…it fixed my problem :slight_smile:

thats the first thing I though of actually… but, I believe, the wire configuration on both ends of the cable were the same (opposed to oppisite). I figured maybe something was different with cable, compared to DSL (long shot), so I compared it to the short cable that came with the surfboard and it was the same.

not sure if I messed up the card when I was trying to get the wireless router working (testing to see if it worked by removing the cable from my PC… did that about 30 times the night before last). are they sensitive to that kind of thing?

sucks too… I had an extra NIC card laying around that I just gave to a friend like 2 weeks ago lol

lol ok are you absolutly sure u got the cables correctly inserted on the router??

If you dont have the cable modem cable in the correct spot it wont work. Make sure its to the WAN side, then the NIC cable goes to one of the other ports.

I’ll double check when I get home.

I thought though, even if a network cable isnt plugged into a modem/router, as long as you plug the other end into the pc, it’ll read it as being connected?

reguardless, I’ll give that a shot. thanks man

sorry i thought u only had it connected to the router, but ur right just a straight shot from the modem to the nic it should work that way.

ohh BTW did u call adelphia and give them ur MAC addy off the modem?, they need to provision it for it to work also.

if they dont it wont work.

nah… didnt give them anything, but my internet was working fine thru my nic card 2 days ago (and I’m still using my modem, thru usb though instead of network cable).

maybe they already have it recorded? (I’m leasing one at the moment thru them)

hm, on kevin’s note with that… it doesn’t sound like you’re getting the screen asking for your acc’t # and zip code to register the modem… something i’d check out if you get a chance, though

and man, the later you call, the better - it’s busy as shit this time of day :tdown:

Oh… I see what you mean.

yeah, I had to do that when I first hooked it up. You go to Adelphia.net and it asks for your account number and area code. never asked for my modems mac address though… maybe they’ve changed it around since he origionally got his?

nah, you don’t have to enter it - as long as you do the other stuff with the acc’t # and zip it’ll do it automatically. sounds like that’s not the problem then.