wireless router

So i got my gf a laptop with a wireless router (netgear) for xmas. The laptop comes with a wireless card. We hooked the router up to her friends computer in the next room over and we can find the network in my gf’s settings for netgear but it says STATUS: limited or no connection and wont let us get on the internet at all. Im new at this wireless stuff and am lost. Help please???

I am by no means an expert, but when I get that message, I unplug the modem from the wall and unplug the router from the wall, then plug the modem back in and connect the router to the modem and that works for me.

Or try unpluging the modem and then connecting the router, then plugging the modem in to the wall.

set up a wireless network

Exactly.

Usually you’ll see the limited or no connectivity if the routers not communicating properly with the modem. Try that and fix it. My mom’s back home did this alot (not to mention tons of people call in each day with said problem) and always power cycling it worked.

I have turned the modem off and the router and waited to turn them back on but still no worky. Im out of ideas as to what could be the problem. Her roommates computer works on the internet going through the router so i know the router is working fine. Its just not communicating right with the modem somehow???