89 ca18det

Hey everyone, my friend just got a 89 180sx hatch ca18det and its all done up but since he has no insurance yet I’ve been driving it for 3 days now and its freaking awsome…lol…but any ways with the question. It has a greddy boost controller and its electronic and its very complicated to use, but when I’m boosting it its telling me that I’m getting up to 11-13 psi when I give’er, that’s probably why its so fast. To the best of my knowledge 11-13 psi is NOT good for these cars and I think that the stock psi is 7, correct me if I’m wrong. Also for the other question, when in idle or after I drive it, and get to a red light it idles fine for a few sec’s in N, and then it idles kind of rough like a v8, but its a 4cyl. And at this point it’s a 1000-1100 rpm…that’s freaking high. What the hell is going on??? Thanks

Also with the spark plugs, what kind is best for the ca18det??? Because I think they are crap the ones that are in there now. The engine has coil packs on each cylinder. Thanks again.

He has no insurance, so you’re driving his car? :roll:

11-13 is fine.

The idle is fucked because it probably needs to be tuned properly, thats why it would sound funny. Could have upgraded injectors.

just keep boosting without insurance, bud. Good things bound to happen in near future.

what ever you do , don’t get platnium or iridiam plugs , they are garbage for turbo vehicals

Depends on what “its all done up” means 11-13 psi could be ok but only if the mods can support it. Like a FMIC and the proper fuel mods. And your right the stock psi is 7 on the CA18DET.
First thing, you should be a nice guy a download the Factory Service Manual for your buddy. In the FSM it has great detail on how to diagnose and repair shit like a lumpy or high idle. My best advice to your buddy is replace the vaccum lines first than move on to stuff like plugs, fuel filter, and of course fluid changes. Doing this easy shit first is safe insurance and good to get out of the way. As for the plugs just search for it the info is out there.

Get some pics of the car up and happy boosting.

NO INSURANCE IS 3000$ FINE. Accident’s while uninsured will be paid out of ur own pocket so get ins asap at least plpd. 2 unplug ur boostcontroler and use factory wastegate aand see how it idles. the v8 dilema may be a vacuum leak .

I’m running HKS Iridiums on my CA and I haven’t had a problem yet, idles fine and everything.

Ok good, with the boost 11-12 is fine. ok well it should be cuase the mods done are.

k&n filter.
apexi bov
Full cat-back 3" mandrel bend
Stage 3, 4 puck racing clutch.
a/m bigger intercooler
lowered adjustable susp.
Rolling on 17” 5 spoke.
Greddy boost controller. Electric.

I am using iridium and it seems fine as well

Thats all fine and dandy but who has done the ECU tuning. While 11-12 maybe ok to drive it now, on stock programming the engine will not last long. Also on 12 psi the heat soak on the factory SMIC is very high and also killing performance at those levels.

Thats all fine and dandy but who has done the ECU tuning. While 11-12 maybe ok to drive it now, on stock programming the engine will not last long. Also on 12 psi the heat soak on the factory SMIC is very high and also killing performance at those levels.[/quote]

what the hell are you talking about the engine will not last long on 12 psi with stock ecu ?!

Here, i thing you all need to read this and pay special attention to # 7 and 8. The guy who wrote that is a very knowledgable person in the ways of the CA. I would trust him with just about any tuning questions/problems.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/154452

Iridium plugs are good for turbo vehicles

what the…