Dyno'd my CA18DET

http://www.zippyvideos.com/images/player.swf?storageId=3&userName=--&videoId=653054&srvURL=http://streaming02.zippyvideos.com

223whp at 14.5 Psi
Not a bad start :slight_smile:

That’s with no real tuning except fuel so I should be able to eek out a lot more.

not a bad start at all.
wonder what my stock ka would do haha…

nice # i always liked ca over sr whats ur red line around 8k?
too bad they stoped making those engines cuz they were to costly to produce

working on/with the CA is so much nicer then the SR… the Eng. of it is so much cleaner, well thought out. except for some of the older technology electronics involved with the CA I don’t have a thing bad to say about it.

Oh I didn’t realize you were on this board.
Sento Jidosha built my setup :slight_smile:

congrats max, those are some nice numbers

Great job on the nice setup.

Do you drive that car around like a Takumi too? haha

More info on the setup and gear!

If you want to go fast you grip, if you can’t go fast you drift.

It’s a T3 Super-60, 450cc injectors, custom everything pretty much…
No head work yet, I’m learning how to tune with this setup so once I feel I’ve got decent enough at that I’ll start playing with some headwork.

I’m using a zeitronix wideband controller for datalogging and just a laptop and hex editor for tuning.

14psi is not where the car is going to stay, I was running 17psi but I discovered (and corrected) a minor mechanical issue that was causing a major restriction (the CA has a 12 port head, 8 intake ports, 4 exhaust, 4 of the intake ports are closed at low rpm and open at high rpm… unfortunately they weren’t opening) so when I dyno’d it I didn’t get a chance to tune for the MUCH higher airflow and had to drop boost to keep the numbers safer.
I should be back to 17psi in the spring and probably around 260-280whp

What do you mean they weren’t opening?
Are they electronically controlled valves?

I didn’t know the CA did that.

Shxx, must see this car in spring…

So basically, you’re an all-go, no-show kinda dude? Wicked!

I’ve been this car it’s pretty cool. Alot of custom work preformed by BAS.

All go, no show! Atlteast that’s the excuse I use for not having fixed any of the scratches or faded paint…

pcproa, they are vacuum actuated. The CA18DET has a vacuum pump which provides vacuum even when in boost. When the ECU detects the engine at 4200rpm it triggers a solenoid that switches the line so that the actuator sees atmospheric pressure instead of vacuum and allows the valves to open. It seems that either the solenoid is not working or one of the check valves is stuck so the actuator never sees atmo, just vacuum.

As a temporary solution I just disconnected the line to the actuator. The vacuum holds the butterfly valves closed so the ‘fail’ state is open.
Unfortunately I lost a lot of low-end torque but gained back all my top end.

Here’s a good picture that someone else took.

CA FTMFW!!! :smiley: anything new?