91 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Here is my newest acquisition:

1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
LSD rear
5 speed
75k Miles
Stock… Unmolested except for bolt in roll cage.

Issues:
No start
Some rot

Mission:
Be best winter DD EVAR.

As you can see, it’s not in the best shape but it is generally stock. Interior is pretty clean all things considered.

Well, I started off by taking the VC off and timing belt cover.

The timing belt was sloppy to say the least, but new. So the first clue was that the timing belt was recently replaced.

Upon pulling the valve cover I was greeted with some… more interesting clues.

So for me, this was evidence enough to indicate that the timing belt had snapped and it was likely that all the valves are mushed into the cylinder head.

Why anyone would replace the timing belt after it snapped without checking inside the cylinder head is beyond me.

So I went ahead and ordered a new cylinder head, timing belt tensioner, timing belt tensioner tool, upper gasket set, and head bolts.

I continued to tear the engine bay apart noting everything else that needed replacing. IE: Vacuum lines and bolts

So this is where I left off today.

I shall update this weekly as I am pretty busy with work but I’m also desperate to get this thing up and running.

Hope all goes well. I’d punch winter in the face with that car! Love it

was this the one FS on craigs last week. It looks pretty familiar

these seriously are the greatest winter cars ever. if you put snow tires on it it will be unstoppable. driving mine in the winter was probably the most fun i ever had in a car

I already have snow tires on it haha.

It was on Craigslist

I am also curious to see the results of your find, good luck and that should make a great winter car

Pulled the turbo and timing belt today.

Pulled the accessories

Every DSM’er/Mitsu guy should own this tool:

Timing belt removed:

This car baffles me.

Interior is clean. But the entire car has rust issues. You would think that all of the hardware would be difficult to remove, but it’s not. I only broke 2 bolts so far. Mechanically everything seems to be in perfect order so far. But the rust is everywhere. Not rotted yet, but ugly!

Had a 90. Beat that thing like a rented mule. Had fun in it though. Pretty peppy.

Should do headstuds and headgasket while your at it they are nitrous for blowing, and damn Sobo I should hang out with you, you kno your dsm stuff, sweet thread I’m subscribed to this one!

I just love these cars because I’m so familiar with what everything does and how to work on it.

Every time I learn something new from one of these fixer-upper projects.

I’m very tempted to see whats going on inside this motor though.

Edit: The car will be getting a new headgasket and head bolts. I will not be doing anything fancy to this car outside of maybe DSMlink so I can practice tuning a bit more and a wideband because i have one sitting in my house.

Oh yea delete the vacuum lines you don’t need and put nipples on them and I can kick myself in the ass for throwing out my vacuum lines!

How are the carrier bearings and ujoints? None the less your not afraid to rip into these cars

Couldn’t tell you. I’d imagine pretty roached out but only time will tell. This car won’t be receiving much in the way of preventative maintenance. I have a budget in mind and a goal for what I will sell it for in spring.

Do you know how to solder link into the ecu as long as it’s a EPROM ecu? Seems difficult

“nitrous for blowing” or “notorius for blowing” ?

Given honda4life’s grammar, he probably meant the latter.

Fucking spellchecker and auto correct! I was trying to say notorious for blowing.

haha you love to blame the spellchecker. I loved my dsm last winter even with shitty tires it was unstoppable, i cant wait to see what it does with good snows.

Are the pistons usable?