'93 del sol si Tachometer jumping around

stock internal b18c Garrett gt2860rs on 7psi. Joe tuned it for me, it runs awesome for what it is, but hopefully im cleanin up the cylinders this winter and puttin in some forged 9:1’s and rods, maybe an lsd if i get antsy who knows. but the pistons and rods for sure. And yea the was me on River run. what were you runnin at the track wednesday? What psi were you rurnning and how fast?

I ran a shitty 12.1 at 119. on 10psi.

ok, so its more than the tach, that is fine, im getting a weird hiccup now that i have determined is the problem, i am going to pull the dist cap off tomorrow and see what i can see, it just feels like it’s not getting ignition at random above 5000 rpm… any other ideas? im running a msd procap, blaster ss coil, msd wires and a msd 6AL controller… NGK bkr7e plugs gapped at 28

Not to knock aftermarket ignition stuff, but the OEM ignition from Honda does an amazing job. Lots of people are hitting much bigger numbers reliably with the stock ignition.

I’d go over the ignition stuff with a fine tooth comb, checking for loose connection that may be affected by vibration. The fact that it starts @ 5K is alarming, where is your VTEC crossover set at, and is it visible on your dyno graph?

ninja edit: I just realized Joe tuned this sans dyno. Still you must have some representation of your power curve.

You would have to put your car on a dyno to have a dyno graph. haha.
T2–let me know if you need help with anything

i switch to high cam at 6000rpm which has no effect either way on the problem, and no no dyno graph, however i am 100% positive i have a power increase at that point… so thats where it is, besides the fact that i know thats where Joe put it.

it starts to go really fast at 6000rpm

what tires are you on?

215 40 17 yokohama parada spec2. i wanna get some stickies for my stock wheels for the track… but im not sure what to get.

What size rim?

17x7… or do you mean the stockies? those are 14x6 i think… not sure of the width

Stockies was the slant of my Q…14" seems limited on choices for slicks and DR’s, don’t they?

215/60/14 bfg’s would be my choice for that rim

seems like that might be too wide for stockies?

he could have his stock steelies widened, and throw some fat slicks on it. If he still has his stock brake setup, he could get away with 13’s as well, to expand his tire choices.

As for the topic, if I’m understanding you correctly the “ignition” issue begins before VTEC crossover, by about 1K rpm? This is a b18c1 right w/ stock intake manifold? VTEC crossover occurs well before the secondaries in the manifold open…but that wouldn’t necessarily affect ignition timing. Intermittent problems still sound too much like loose connections.

they will fit, they are del sol wheels right?

I run 225’s on GSR fat 5’s

he us useing a P28 on a JDM B16 timing map…secondaries no longet exsist!

I assume the IAB’s are wired open or gutted then? If wired open, check wiring.

Correct, gutted would be the best setup. That may explain why the problem isn’t visual…air velocity shooting through the runners will create turbulence to a point, after which it’ll equalized and severaly restrict airflow to that cylinder. Wiring them open will makes them close slightly under peak boost. This is assuming it’s only a cylinder or two affected by that. They are linked together so I doubt that is happening.

There is no vacuum line on it and they are not “wired open”

if you pull the vacuum line off they are “always open”

I made 450whp with those bitches in there

wow i missed alot… ok i do not have a stock brake setup, i have gsr brakes so 13’s wont fit… the stock 14’s (del sol stockies) barley fit now. as for widening i dont think i wanna mess with that, i would just buy a 15 that is wider if i had to do something that drastic.
I was thinking about the same thing for tires… (bfg 215-60-14)im going to look into some of those.

yea the problem is so intermittent that it has to be a connection somewhere, it is not consistent at all, and it will even do it if i rev the engine under no load making no boost so i doubt it has anything to do with the IAB’s (b18c by the way, but no difference for this situation) like Joe said those bitches are taken care of.

IF IT WOULD STOP DAMN RAINING I COULD FIGURE IT OUT! there is so much crap of my roommates in the garage i cant get my car in.