97 subaru alt problems

ok I had some welding done and i’m not sure if the battery was disconnected and now my alternator is toast-that was my fault, but then the next one i tried(i was told it was a good used one) didnt work either (i pulled the batt. terminal off to see if the alt would support the running engine-it shut right off)and an autozone test showed that one was fried too, so before i put my last used alternator on my car, is there anything that would cause my car to fry an alternator? i wouldnt think so, but i have heard stranger things. its a 97 subaru impreza brighton 2 dr. 1.8L
5 spd.

What welding did you have done.

Step 1. Find when and where the problem started.

You had some welding done, and now your alt is getting fried, did something get welded somewhere it shouldnt have? Loose electrical connection?

well, it’s a long story, to make it short, i twisted the harmonic balancer and timing gear on the crank and when it twisted it destroyed the key and egged out the keyway. the car doesnt owe me much of anything so we welded the keyway and ground it out for a new key. (we welded the crank while it was still in the car) thats all that got touched with the welder, but i’m not sure if the battery was disconnected or not. the only loose connection is the positive batt terminal cuz its corroded away, but that shouldnt have anything to do with the alternator(i have a new teminal i just have to put it on). the engine runs just fine, lots of power(now that the timing and balancer are correctly positioned again) and all of the accessories/gauges/lights etc works too just alts were both toast. i figured the first one died from the welder, but the second i’m not sure if it was bad before i put it in. i just dont want to fry another alternator if i can help it.