a_ahmed?

Anyways guys, come out to the meet tonight, I’ll be there. :smiley:

Cal please come out! BROCK!

finally a meet in central sauga

im game if the rain holds out

Samson, I’m not saying they won’t help or anything like that, just that they won’t “fix” suspension geometry. Andrew hit on an excellent solution when he talked about the aftermarket uprights for our cars. The two of us put in some research into this last year, and concluded that it kicks crazy amounts of ass.
These pieces are by no means cheap, but they cost less than SPL LCAs, and will do a lot more than any of the other solutions. Both you and Ahmed hit on a few of the effects of changing suspension geometry. He was talking about how the distance between the roll centre and CG changes to cause a greater roll moment when the car is lowered (which is true), and you’re talking about bump steer. These can be corrected in the way that both of you described, but they do not address the bigger picture.
The main thing I am getting at is that the suspension is a linkage, and the arms and spring/damper combo are its components. When you lower your car, you are changing the “length” of the spring/damper combo and the angles of all the suspension arms change. This causes the wheel to travel a different path than stock when a force is applied to it.
It is true that not everything that Ahmed said is wrong, but very little of it is right, and it is not communicated in the right way. When he says something, it is obvious that he is speaking not through knowledge and understanding, but through merely repeating what he’s read on other forums.

^^ good information

thats how people need to post when giving information, so people actually read it.

a_ahamed, take notes.

PS: weather looks alright, berometer is dropping so less chance of rain

After all this I’m still left hanging.

I still don’t know what will correct my suspension geometry if I lower my car more then 2"s.

No one know’s if the ford Taurs or 240sx has better brakes.

The best proof I have is from Hurricane and that isn’t even 100% accurate.

I’m all for stock vs. stock (with stock tires). a_ahmed, it’s a moot point, we all see how having R-Compounds on each car would beneifit the test but in the end, I suspect the 240xx will stop faster. Irregardless, your point is not a show stopper.

Second, I fail to see how a_ahmed’s suggestion to fix suspension geometry is equivical proof that he’s right. Third, Solarian has proven even less then a_ahmed other then saying he’s an engineer.

I’ve met engineer’s who can’t tie their own shoe laces.

Bring me the numbers, show me how it’s done and then we’ll know who’s right. Until then, I’ll sit on the fence.

a_ahmed, i read all your posts, i can tell you calmed down while typing them.

^that reminds me of a time I asked an engineering student for a metal coat hanger because I locked my keys in the car, she brought me a plastic one, to which I replied “WTF, are you an engineering student?” - she was

I then proceeded to remove a tree branch and promptly unlock my doors.

here is one to confuse u further, taurus brakes on a 240sx. actually it may not be a
bad idea, don’t know enough about these brakes to from an opinion tho haha.

quote of the day. maybe the week lols.

peace

I just finished reading all this, and one thing that got me scratching my head is Hurricanes post on specs of a old broken ass s13’s vs a newer Ford Taurus.

After doing some quick googling, these results are for a 1991 Ford Taurus SHO with a yamaha engine, not Duratec.

Key word - “She”

This isn’t a blatant stab either, for whatever reason female engineers tend to be really good at the books, but they’re useless for application.

Richard, the only thing I tried to prove is that Ahmed is a clueless tool that repeats what he reads on ziptied. I think I did a damn good job of it too.

It’s only because he talks in absolutes.

Like, “this will fix the problem” instead of “this may fix the problem”.

If he just suggesting things as a possible solution then he’d have good adivce. You said yourself, he was part right. (On Geometry, not taurus brakes)

But that’s the same as if an engineer were to give out medical advice, and he said one thing right among many wrongs, yet blatantly insisted that a group full of doctors are idiots.

Just to quickly touch on the braking stuff…

After having read everything in this thread, every word, I will say that i’m not fully happy with my stock-ish brakes, i’ll give a_ahmed that one.

No matter what I do with pads, rotors, fluid, bleeding, new MC and what not - I truly find the stock braking only barely sufficient (although it is enough for most cases and most drivers). But I guess there’s still a chance it’s just my setup in some way, shape or form…or perhaps I just enjoy having more braking power available than most might need.

Either way, car manufacturers should really lean towards the overkill side when designing brake setups IMO…and the 240’s in my opinion came out average. So i’d say that since many of us track our cars and drive with a little extra “spirit” on the street from time to time so a proper upgrade is never a bad idea.

I am an engineer and I can’t tie my own laces. I usually just leave my shoes double knotted and I slip my feet in and out. I can whip up a mean pineapple upside down cake though.

really eh? bring it to the next meet, i’m wanting me some cake at the moment haha

Jon!

Check out my brakes next time we meet, i’ll let you drive my car.

It just has 180sx brakes with some blank rotors and HPS pads. SS braided lines in the front, and no special rbf600 fluid. :slight_smile:

Done!

I was also considering a set of Q45’s down the road at some point, I imagine they would be somewhat of a similar upgrade.

BTW I will add that I haven’t yet done stainless lines, and had that on “the list” as well.

Ya Jon, I have the same thing as mark as well, Try them both just diff pads and rotors

sigh.

ahmed… your a bloody idiot.

the rest of you wernt interesting enough to bother reading your posts.

sorry.

GT

Stainless lines + good pads + good fluid will definitely make a huge difference.

Q45s would be awesome, they are a direct bolt on and you won’t have to worry about clearing your rims. :slight_smile:

The 180s are more than enough for the street for most of us on this board. Also, its a super cheap upgrade.