A few things on my s13

I’ve been restoring this thing for a few weeks now, I’ve finally got it running after cleaning out the whole fuel system from changing the fuel pump to cleaning out the injectors and rail. We changed the ignition system and now it seems to run pretty well…

Well there’s 2 problems, one of them is a ticking sound, possibly a lifter or the timing chain but I’m not stressing very much about this…

The other thing is, when I rev it up arround 5k it starts to give out blueish smoke, I know this is supposed to be oil burning, though it doesn’t do it every time.

Now thing is, the oil was very black and old when I got it, and its the oil we tested it with, today we got new oil and a filter and everything but while flushing it out we ran out of gas so we didn’t get a chance to see if there’s still smoke, the engine hasn’t ran in like 2 years so… I’m looking forward to tomorrow to see what happends…

Any ideas?

andy

The ticking sound is probably your timing chain guide, as for the smoke. The car has been sitting for awhile, its likely to smoke alittle. Change the oil, and let it run for a bit to get it out of its system. After that it should be good.

P.S. Change the timing chain guide before it gets to bad. It will eventually wear a hole through the collant gallary in the front cover, thus boinking your engine

If the ticking is only brielfy during start up, then its the timing chain guide.
If it happens while running you may just need to tighten the valve tappets.
If the tapptes are tight, change the plugs (if you havent already) and adjust the ignition timing. Sometimes over advanced timing will tick under severe detonation.

Also, your valves are non-adjustable if thes the SOHC KA, as for the DE I think the valves are non adjustable, but am not 100%.

I’m an SR guy myself, if I were you, the ticking noise would provoke me to swap. But then again im a power junkie.

DOHC valves are adjustable they do not have hydraulic lifters. SOHC has hydraulic lifters and are not adjustable.

As for your blue smoke, if you didn’t let the engine warm up fully there is your answer. I’m beting the engine has quite a few km’s on it, so if you just fire it up and rev it to 5k it will blow a little blue.

Andrew.

It’s the KA24E SOHC. We’ll take some time today to check the ticking and the smoke, we haven’t really took the time to diagnose those problems yesterday since we ran out of gas and has other things to do aswel. The engine has about 150k on it.

Sweet!! No more ticks, no more smoke, all we did was change the oil!!!

The car’s running nicely now… A few other things, the fan seems to be direct to the belt and when you rev the car all you hear is the fan, isn’t there supposed to be a clutch on it or something? Maybe its seized? How do I remove it?

Also, I rev it up and it wont go past 4k, not really, its not backfiring or anything but I donno… I’m thinking it cant get a proper spark at that because the cap,rotor and wires are really crappy and old, I haven’t had the money to change them yet… What else can cause that?

Is the fan moving? And you shouldn’t get rid of the fan until you get an electric one.

When I did my DE swap lol that engine smoked for like 5min. It’s what happenes when they sit.

The fan’s clutch is really bad, we took off the fan for now untill we get a new clutch.

The engine seems to be running fine, beautiful idling at .7k and it revs well, but when you bring it up pretty high, arround redline at 6 - 7k it seems to backfire a little and sputter out some smoke. Could this be an ignition problem?

^^ yeah could very be if you are using old / incorrectly gapped plugs / or old cap / wires