a letter to my boss's boss!

So im quitting my job today where smort and myself work for a list of about 100 reasons, and I decided to send a letter to my boss’s boss. here goes:

Mr. Mike *******,

As I’m sure you have already been informed, I have recently terminated my employment at All-Phase Pittsburgh #5943. Although this letter is long overdue, there are some issues that I feel you should be made aware of, along with anybody else that stands to stake a claim in the profitability of this branch.

During my interviewing process at All Phase I was told many things that would peak my interest and excite me to strive and gain employment there. However in 20 months of employment I would soon realize that none of them were true. Please don’t take my writings as the ramblings of a disgruntled employee trying to get back at his boss for any apparent reason. I only write to you because I feel like I’ve been cheated out the last 20 months of my professional career.

First and foremost I would like to point out that John ****** does NOT want to hire an outside salesman. He would rather in fact like to employ someone to sit inside and handle all of HIS quotes on a day to day basis. Make no mistake about it, I can handle all of his work in a timely manner and do so without complaining, however that in turn leaves me with no time to handle my own accords. This is a problem as I was hired on the basis that I would be outside in front of electrical contractors creating relationships and writing orders. This is something that I would never be able to achieve, since I would be tied up at the office each day doing other peoples jobs.

Second I would like to talk about benefits that I was offered during my interviews that never seemed to come through on paper. First is my cell phone allowance. I was promised that once I started making outside calls to customers that I would be given a cell phone allowance. This never happened, despite the use it received and the orders that were written during conversations that took place using my cell phone. Next is a car allowance. I have put countless miles on my car in the past year driving back and forth between customers, and while $.40/ mile covers most of my gasoline costs, it does not begin to cover the wear and tear that my vehicle endured. While I was continually promised a car allowance was in my future, he must have meant distant future because I still have yet to receive a runtzheimer check.

I am sorry to have to move on to a different career path after so much training and effort put into this position. However when I am promised a job with certain duties and then never get to perform these duties, it makes coming into work everyday more of a chore rather then a fulfilling experience. I know historically profit center 5943 has a reputation of having a high turnover, and I only hope that this letter serves as a minor example of why that may be. I could write a novel full of ideas that would help pull that branch out of the red, but I don’t know If the ink would be wasted or not. I have included my phone number at the bottom of this letter. If you or anybody else would like to discuss some of these ideas please feel free to reach out to me. There is a strong team in Pittsburgh, however I don’t feel everyone is being used to their full potential. I wish nothing but the best for the entire company and hope its nothing but blue skies for the future!

Sincerely,

Matthew McKenna

P.S. I have enclosed a copy of my resignation letter.

thoughts
?

Delete your phone number from this post!

nice

yah!

sounds good to me

I would probably have tossed this letter if given to me. No offense, but it’s needs to be more positive if you except anything to happen. :slight_smile:

well im not gonna lie, im pretty sure thats gonna be the outcome of it. But in the off chance this company gives a shit for more than 5 seconds maybe this will stir something up.

i thought the letter was fine, other than the following:

even if you’re buying premium, $.40/mile should more than cover your gas expenses. i know your mileage will vary, but at $3.50/gallon, it costs me about 12-13 cents in gasoline to drive a mile. If I bumped it up to premium and knocked a few mpg off, it might go up a nickel or dime, but at $.40/mile AND 93 octane, you’d have to get less than 9 mpg to be losing money on gasoline.

But read the rest, it doesn’t cover the wear and tear and other expenses. I agree that amount will cover the gasoline, but reading that part of the letter out of context makes it sound worse than it is.

On the other hand, I’d do the same as someone said above and throw this in the trash and never think twice about it. If you want to make a difference and help the company, you need to request a meeting. Make a phone call. If he denies the phone call or doesn’t want the meeting, then its not your problem any more, but the letter is kind of a pussy way out and it’s not going to cause any turmoil or change anyways.

:drama: front row for this one!!!

If the boss cares at all, he may just read the letter. If he’s like most people though, it will just get tossed out.

very nice… but i would have signed it Shawn Mort… lol

Standard minimum mileage is .505 per mile, you should be getting paid that at least.

lame… You should have got up during a meeting and pissed on the conference room table. That is the only way to get your point across.

I don’t see the point. If you’re quitting to move on, then do so. If you want to stay and help the Pittsburgh branch get in the black, you should have written this letter before resigning. That way you’d have the outside chance of a shotgun promotion, or a way to get fired and still get paid.

the right-wing nutjob has a point.

you could have drafted a letter to the effect of, “sir. i feel that my immediate supervisor is greatly limiting the productivity of my department. his irresponsible delegation of responsibilities and shameful work ethic have left us without the resources necessary to grow the business. i wish for both the company and myself to be successful, but i cannot consider those possibilities with current management.”

I wrote a letter about compensation and healthcare to my last employer that pointed out some glaring failures of the company and the reason a lot of employees were leaving. It was sent to the president and also to the HR department. It was never read and I quit a few months later.

But in reality, the boss’s boss could give a rats ass about you and your letter, especially if you already quit.

but good luck with a new job

While I may be a nut job, I don’t think “right wing” is an accurate label, I’m far too libertarian for that.

bottom line, yer an idiot and aint gonna get shit since you have now pissed off your employer, go find another job jackass…

I’d laugh and frame it with pink pokadots next to the clock in my office.so everyone can admire it.