ABS Prototype

I am an engineer for a line of FDM machines. This part of my JOB, I will not be doing anything for FREE, (unless your JAM and I know you can support me, if I lose my JOB)

What this means, is you have a connection to have something built in ABS or other materials if you willing to pay for it.

So if you have made something in a 3D program and can export it to an .STL file. I can give you a price (NOT FOR FREE). I travel for work, 50-55% of the time, so I will TRY and be timely on my response back. Some of my clients are BMW, JGR, “mom and pop” prototype places, KODAK, schools.

Since this is part of my job, I will ask you to be very, very patient on time. If you would like to make something for a school project, I will not let you down and get it done before any dead line…

So if you would like more information, responed. OR PM me.

What’s the resolution of your FDM? We have a polyjet and it’s awesome.

So, you’re saying this is a free service?

in x,y,z? :slight_smile:

the machines build the material in z, and the resolution can range from .005" -.013". Polyjet is a nice prototype, but FDM is king when you would like a working protoype. FDM will allow you to take a part right out of the machine, bolt it on, dyno it, and go to production. I have even worked on projects that some “mules” have intakes that are made out on ABS and not ULTEM.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

sure is, just require you to a large beard, and great smile.

BUT really, NO one should object to the price. If it is small, the usage of the material is small. If it is LARGE, the usage of the material is LARGE. People will only be paying for the material, not the service. If you want to offer up a HJ, I might be able to find some scrap material around… :slight_smile:

cool shit, what’s the max size on this equipment?

you dont know how many times I get asked that by the ladies…

Well I can splice anything but, 16"x16"16" would be rough size.

Rapid prototyper? So much fun to use but not very rapid lol.

umm, then carve it out of wood.

I would say based upon your meaning of rapid is only base upon time, not on prototype…

http://shosource.com/catalog/images/SHOSrc_BBB_compare.jpg

so say I had a 3d model of this type of part (which I do) I would be able to give you that file and have a part made out of plastic? what kind of money are you talking for this type of work. hundreds? thousands? not asking for a exact figure

I know what you mean, I’ve worked with ABS rapid prototypers for 5 years now, I just think it’s funny that people expect parts to be printed in 45 mins lol. I’ve had projects run for a whole weekend before.

Does yours run dual line ABS (soluble and non-soluble)?

get me an .stl, I have to fingure the material and run time. just looking at them, do you want the butter flies to open, are you just looking for the casting? I would think rough, $400, for two… idk, maybe less.

I have a few cubic inches I need to use. Anyone have any small parts?

just made a part for a UB student. bump, if you need anything, FYI I am not in town, everything was done over email and picked up at the office.

i might be able to use something, but i’d have to model it first.

i am unfamiliar with the .stl file, can you explain? from what i saw on wiki it is used only by the stereolithography software (3D Systems). i only have access to AutoCad 2D and SolidWorks. how can i get what i need into a format you can use? Can solidworks spit out an .stl file from the model i make in there?

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/STL_Files.htm

I may send you some drawings for quotes. Have a few items I need built for a prototype. You can do it for free right?

actually, i think he said he would send YOU money to do it

.stl = Is what I need in order to pull the x,y,z from the file. even 2d CAD SW will have an .stl file, just when you save it just save an .stl off, and I can look at it.

send it away, is this for prax, or urself? the discount is the same.

this is for myself. need a housing for a circuit board concept once its done.

Ok, just get at me when you have something. I also have ESD material, if you want.

Interesting. Who do you work for? PM me if you like…