adding cruise control

My dad’s '05 Ford Focus didnt come with cruise control and now that he got transferred at work he’s going to be doing some highway driving instead of just back roads like he’s been doing and he’d like to see if he can add cruise control.

Whats involved in adding it and is it worthwhile?

He loves the car so getting rid of it isnt an option.

A co-worker of mine has added it a couple of times to various cars. Not sure what is involved, but it can’t be terribly hard. Just some wiring up of a switch, etc.

Most cars it’s just a matter of buying all the related gear/electronics and PnP.

I know its not too hard on older cars but Im not sure if its in the computer on newer cars.
Im pretty sure the steering wheel needs to be changed on his car.

There is probably a lot more involved then anyone here really thinks and I’m sure it varies greatly depending on the car. Hell, the entire body wiring harness may have to be changed, ECU may have to be recoded, separate cruise control module may be needed, switches the the petals, controls on the steering wheel/stalk, sometimes even the cluster itself is different.

Could be simple, could be VERY not simple. I’d look to see if you can find a focus forum and see if anyone else has successfully done it.

Seems like quite a bit could be involved. Nothing like the old JC Whitney add on cruise control for older cars.

Ill have to check it out on a Focus forum for him.

He can live with not having it but would like to have it for the highway. Personally I wouldnt have bought the car without cruise control and a tilt steering wheel.

I have cruise control. I never use cruise control, even on 4hr trips.

what him said. im guessing its not gonna be very simple.

My dad drives like an old lady and would set it at exactly the speed limit.

Ive got it on my truck and car and very rarely use it.

I wouldn’t know neither of my shitboxes have it. never bothered me

i use it everywhere, i love it

+1 i do it on western/central when there’s no traffic sometimes and i’m not tired, lets me relax a little more

Wait…I thought you meant an after market one (if they are still made). If you are referring to OEM ford CC, then yes…it’s probably not worth it.

Sorry, I should have said my co-worker used to buy after market ones for like $80 and install them on his cars.

http://androidspin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/single-brick.jpg

/thread

EXACTLY

I love it as do most people. I use it EVERYWHERE. Central ave, etc.

With most modern cars now using throttle-by-wire, aftermarket kits are probably non-existent. I can’t say for sure though.

might as well use the shit your car came with, ya know?

I use the cruise control on all three of my cars (when they run) every time I drive.

yes, i know.