advancing ur timing

ok ive heard u can adjust the timing on a SOHC from 15 degrees to 17 degrees, im curious to know is this is true?

If when i do advance i need to run 91 octane correct?

When you advance your timing can it mess up ur valves or valve seals or anything else?

Is it bad for the car? is it going to make my engine’s life decline dramatically?

Oh and before the mods lock this thread incase its been talking about, i tried searching and came up with nil, so if u do choose to lock this thread the least u could do is give me some links the the reads on it

thanks

rob

Yeah bump the timing to 17 it does wonders on the SOHC just be
sure to always run 91… I found Petro Canada Worked Best.

ok thanks…so it wont mess anything up thought right?

It looks like you know too little to be messin around with timing.

well instead of taking the typical son additude, why dont we teach him. Help someone learn somthing new, If he fucks up from there his fault not yours. I would tell him how but i dont know how.

well instead of taking the typical son additude, why dont we teach him. Help someone learn somthing new, If he fucks up from there his fault not yours. I would tell him how but i dont know how.[/quote]

So should we start with how engines work or get straight to timing?

If he wants to learn, there’s wealth of information available at your finger tips: www.google.com

And since I’m a nice guy, here’s an article on KA-T on how to adjust timing:
http://www.ka-t.org/tech.htm

well son…of course i ask simple questions and all i need is simple answers but people like gonad have to be jerks about everything and cant help out a single bit…first of all i take great offence to the comment “So should we start with how engines work or get straight to timing?” that gonad wrote…

first off you know nothing about me an dont know if i know about cars or not…and by the way i worked in a garage for a year but we never did any timing…so all im curious to know are simple things. My buddy kyle and my former boss and my dad can all advance the timing for me…i just want to come onto here son and get some information on the SOHC KA…which is apparently hard information to get…i got two answers to two of my questions…

those questions were can i advance the timing to 17 degrees, and do i need to run 91 octane…i got my answers for those…but thats talk about the ones i didnt get answers for

When you advance your timing can it mess up ur valves or valve seals or anything else? all i wanted was a no it wont mess up ur valves or valve seals or anything else…or a yes it can do that…simple question simple answer thats all i wanted

the other question was

Is it bad for the car? is it going to make my engine’s life decline dramatically?

All i need was a simple asnwer of yes it is bad for the car or no its not…or how bout yes it will make the engines life decline…all i wanted was simple answers…i know a car has timing for a reason and it should be at 15 degrees but im just curious as to if its ok to run it at 17 degrees and all i get from u guys is a bunch of people who spend more time bitching at people for their posts, rather than taking the same amount of time and just simply answering their questions…

im not trying to get anyone mad at me but lots of you guys can pretty ignorant out there with some of your posts and i take great offence to what gonad said…im not trying to create a battle or anything

but back to the timing…just so you do know gonad…i can work on cars, i do all my own vehicle matenance and it runs mint, and as for setting the timing i have people to do that for me and am just curious how to get more power out of a sohc Ka…my friends and i have changed the timing on a maxima and a civic both ran great but all i was wondering is how it is on the ka…

sorry if i offended anyone but it had to be said, and its freakin annoying that people have to come to this…but i thank you for the kat.org information from that site

rob

well instead of taking the typical son additude, why dont we teach him. Help someone learn somthing new, If he fucks up from there his fault not yours. I would tell him how but i dont know how.[/quote]

So should we start with how engines work or get straight to timing?

If he wants to learn, there’s wealth of information available at your finger tips: www.google.com

And since I’m a nice guy, here’s an article on KA-T on how to adjust timing:
http://www.ka-t.org/tech.htm[/quote]

Hey man i wasnt trying to bite your ass or anything, just saying we have a pretty negitive additude towards questions that guys who are newer to the car or just arnt that mechanicaly inclined (me being one of them), even if they arnt questions that are asked every day.

Once again gonad, no offence ment to you it twasnt a personal attack.

I take no offence.

Playing with timing isn’t something Joe Blow should do. If you don’t know
how adjusting timing affects your motor, then why play with it.

Before I even turned my distrib (or took it out) I spent quite some time
reading up on the subject.

Why degrade the life of your motor (and fuel mileage) just for an extra
few HP? I personally regret tampering with shit under the hood.

Leave it alone and it will last you for ages. There’s no point squeezing
power out of these motors. They do their job as is.

word.

jantos covers it in 2 lines

if its being done on the distributor, then no since you are not changing mechanical timing.

and it wont mess up your engine if done right.

ok cool thanks guys for people who understand…now i can do it i read up alot on it so it should go well

thanks

rob

^^
good plan. ask google and scope other forums before coming to son for help. thats the best advice i can give you hehe. not that ppl here arent nice but i find that theyre not so welcoming to noob questions and come off as being condescending at times.

hahah true…ill just go to neo when i have a questions naves a good guy he knows alot he can find me answers…

how much extra hp does 17 degrees do compared to 15?

I am going to go with 3-5 HP

meh, not worth the extra gas money

i run my sohc 4 degrees above base timing with ultra 94… no problems… its worth over 5hp

wow that sounds crazy

whats ur gas mileage like now compared to how it was before??

rob

ADAM is also boosted.

From the little I know, you don’t want too much of an advanced timing if
you are forced induced (turbo, supercharger, etc.)