Timing questing

if the timeing was to advanced could this cause the car to bog down?

finnaly someone who can anwser my question. thank you
artical was most helpfull

Be aware that many Japanese spec engines are designed to run on 98-102 octane fuel in their home markets. These engines will not be able to run the same boost levels on North American 92 octane fuel. Expect lots of detonation or spark retard if you attempt this.

what do you think you get out of advancing the timeing like 3hp???
I don’t know if it would be worth the cost in 91 octain gas.

well when i had it pegged just right that thing halled ass…
its not so much the gain in hp its where the hp is placed in the power range i think… not to mention i noticed i got way better milage at certian timings then others… and whats the diff… i fill with 91 and have since i got the 240. its like a diffrence of 2 dollers at best… and id give up a timmies coffie to run better gas…

OOOOOOOOOOOOOo timmies
hahahahah I don’t know that is a tough question. ok then now all i need to know is how to advance my timeing and how much I should go.

The most that I would advance your timing is like 3 points, but I think that hurts your gas mileage as well. Not entirly sure, and if you bought your car from a dealership, I have heard that they are known to retard timing in order to lower emissions or something. Stock timing should be 20 btdc. I don’t remember how to check your timing…

cool thanks, that is alright, Ill figure it out. haha farmer can probbly help me with that. My friend Adam Burella ( a very old time member to this club) did it on his s14 and he swears that it really did make a difference

Benson you need a timing light to do it right (they sell em at CT)

Come to my house and we’ll get it done … bring the friggin tires.

hahah ya, hmmmmm how much are they???
ya and I was going to ask you waht you were doing saterday afternoon, I have to put my spoiler/rear wiper back on.
we can also do thew timeing. you down?

yeap. Around lunch ?

$49.99 for the cheapest one according to ct.com.
Maybe they rent one or you can return it heh.

Or maybe you can do it without the timing light? You could just bump it up … but you wouldn’t know where you are starting from.

Hmmm I think I will buy it and then return. Hahahah that is what my friends there always tell me to do. lunch is good for me , can we make it like 1ish. and then you can also get you tires :slight_smile:

yay for advanced timing

Remember not to advance it too much otherwise say goodbye to your engine.

Ya I don’t want that, we will just do a little and see how it works, Like a test. But that is why I am getting the light just to be sure. I will probbley doo 2 or 2.5 points.

where have u gotten to sven anyway/

I don’t know what that means. But do you want to come over on saturday as well? I thought you graduated?

ARRG i though u graduated

Hmmn, back on topic … so Benson, I wouldn’t go past 3, so 2 or 2.5 sounds safe. Let me know how it goes, this is something that I was planning on doing as well.

Ya no prob, I will probbly try 2.5 and see how I like it and If i can go backl to 2 and not notice much of a difference then Ill leave it there.

Also you should run a higher octane gas once you up the timing. So like 93/94 octane.