Advice on how to proceed with my drift build (rust problems)

Evening Son’lings,

So I have been sitting on a project that I started last year on, I’ve been stepping it up on trying to get the car ready for tracking for the coming season. As I started the project I began to find wonderful rust surprises as expected with a s13 that most likely had been winter driver at some point.

To the point, the car is stripped down basically a roller atm. After ripping out the carpet I found that the previous owner had filled in the rust holes with foam and riveted a piece of metal over it so it seems like everything is solid.

About 6-7 holes 2 large ones as you will see, one on driver side and other on the pass. Also the pass rail is pretty eaten up. the holes or very weak metal are indicated in red.

I need some advice as this is a budget build and the motor components are pretty much ready to go in. Now this new expense seems overwhelming if it is going run me alot. Personally i have never welded myself, by no means am I a tech but I’m not too shabby with a wrench and have wonderful friends with mad skillz yo.

However I wanted to see what you guys think and if I should try and tackle this on my garage floor with some friends, any advice if I do take that route or pointers and also if you want to lend a hand as i need a welder and do not have easy access to one. I’m also looking to see what kind of professional quotes will come my way through this post, you can PM me if you think you can help me out.

This car is being built for open drift days and to eventually see amateur competition, so I am trying to get it to be solid enough to use safely on track and last for a few seasons of trashing. So it don’t need to look super pretty but at-least decent.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24771[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24775[/ATTACH]

I got alot more pics and will probably post them if anyone asks.

Cheers,

It’s just a question of money… people sell frame rail patch kits, and patching a floor is relatively easy

The bigger challenge will be tackling all the structural/safety issues properly, and catching all of them, so it doesn’t come back

Might be cheaper to buy an existing shell with a cage in it, than fix yours and add the monkey bars

good luck finding the rails though. As far as I know I bought the last oem genuine nissan rail kit from them in march last year. there may be some through private dealers butyou wont find one in NA from nissan. i had it brought in from atlanta.

cut out and weld the floor board. Don’t skimp on fixing the frame rails as its the foundation of the car and compromising structural integrity for something other than a winter beater is just dumb. Probably even with a winter beater but aint nobody got time for that.