Advice on space heaters please

SWEET! i can easily do 50 bucks, man. Thanks for the suggestion. I’d totally rather have it hot in the garage. I tolerate heat REALLY well. Cold is my enemy. Totally going to Lowes to pick up one of those.

edit: its like 100 at the store and ive got the propane tank from the grill. ill just gank that tank :slight_smile:

I dont know if it was at lowes or somewhere else… but it wasnt that one… its pretty small and rated at 40-50k btu…

Will easily keep you sweating your balls off in a good average 2 car garage even on a medium setting

this one seems good actually. my garage is a 2 car garage. its like 25x20? something like that, but its tall. about 15 feet or so. i figure ill put this one in there and crank it with the garage door cracked open a little. then once its warm there ill turn it down. ill bring my laptop out there and some speakers and just start taking the car apart.

Sounds good! :thumbup

Srsly pretty sure you wont be dissapointed, I know im not and I have a pretty good sized garage…

I think this is going to be my biggest solo project. But I dont really mind. It’ll be educational. I need my tank running tip top! if anyone else wants to kill some time and hang out, youre more than welcome.

you’re going to need a ceiling fan to make the most of it…

I have a Diesel powered salamander… /Cold

how is that? how much are thems?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ66xh1/R-100672865/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ66xh1/R-100672753/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

300 and 400 bucks? thats kind of a lot. i think the 100 one will work just fine. i have a big 2 foot fan i can use to run the air around the garage. but thanks for the suggestions though. im going to check out some heaters later on today. i’ve gotta get my reverse rake assault vehicle rolling around again terrorizing little childrens nightmares

If you will spend alot of time in the garage/large room, it will be worth every penny!

oh, i have a feeling this project is going to take some time. i need to remove ALL of my charge piping, intake piping, intercoolers and flush out the oil with some brake parts cleaner. find and replace the PCV valves. put back all the piping, intercoolers and such. remove and replace my coolant temp sensor. remove and replace a primary O2 on the passenger side. drive ~500 miles and look in the charge pipes again. if theres no oil, im set, if theres still oil pooling that means that more than likely the piston seals on the turbos have gone bad and i’ll be looking into a new set of k04-01s(rs4 fitment), new hardware, bipipe, lots of oil lines and such all around.

This thread makes me think of my garage and makes me want to cry.
Looks like we both have a long, cold winter a head of us Vadim. :thumb :lol

ohhhhhhh…thats right! we BOTH need to do work, huh? You’re welcome to come hang out.

Buddy. What do you have for a ceiling? Assuming it isnt sheet rocked or insulated… If you have rafters I would take some Tyvek, or house rap and staple it to the bottom of the rafters. That is the stuff you staple to a house over the ply sheeting prior to siding it. It is a wind barrier. Make sure to overlap it a few inches each pass. Also staple it to the top plates on the outside walls a few inches down too. Remember heat rises and this stuff will stop heat from floating up and out your roof. A roll will do WAY more than what you have, and the cheap stuff from HD, Lowes or CurtisLumber is like 50$ or so I think.

We finished off my fathers garage 2 years ago. It is 25X30’ iirc. Insulated the walls and rocked/tapped it. Then Tyveked the bottom of the roof rafters, and laid R21 on top of the tyvek between the bays in the attic space in the rafters. We installed an old propane furnace in the garage to a 50G or so tank outside. Tank lasted 2 years and we used it A LOT. Like tee shirt and jeans working out there and it was 10deg in January! We blasted the place with a 250000 btu salamander with Kerosene for about 5 mins and just let the furnace kick on and off with the t-stat to hold the temps.

Do yourself a favor and seal up the place as best as you can. I would even tyvek the walls if you can for now if you don’t want to sheet rock/insul it. Then just get a 25000 salamander and have at it. A cheap $50 room paddle fan would help too, make sure the blades are upside down so when it spins it forces the air back down.

BTW, Nicole and VOT, once the cars are running and you still need to work on them, let me know and we can work in my father’s garage this winter. Just let me know a few days in advance and we can go at it.

The garage is i think insulated and sheerocked already. It was a new house. I really want one of those hanging joints that radiates heat from above, but thats like 5-6K to do the garage. i cant swing that. i think a 100 bucks for the heater and a tank of gas will do it for me.

Vadim I can’t come hang out, I have to do work too, remember?
I’ve even abandoned my post pretending to be foreman on the Scirocco build. :rofl

lets do skype via webcam and skype. we’ll race :slight_smile:

Shit yeah then, your good to go! Ceiling sheetrocked and insulated too? If so, just get your self one or two cheap ass ceiling fans and a nice salamander and your golden.