Advice: Replacing starter and flexplate on 95 Explorer

Ok, so I just got a 95 Explorer Sport 2dr 4x4 from a friend for $150 cause it isn’t starting. After doing a little research, it looks like it might be a cracked flexplate, which could have also ruined hte starter, so I will need to replace them.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with these, and could give me some pointers on removing the starter (so I can check the Flexplate) and then dropping the trans so I can replace it since I am pretty sure that is the cause.

I will be hopefully getting it to my house this week, since it isn’t running at the moment. I have already put some time in this truck replacing the fuel pump when my friend had it. And with 250k on it, it was CLEAN underneath for a NY vehicle. It’s got no rust and all the bolts came out without much effort.

Is there a cover you can remove to check the flex plate teeth without pulling the starter?

i would assume so if its an auto, you gotta be able to get the convertor nuts off… i just did a motor in a 99 explorer if i rememeber right i went in on the passenger side to get the nuts off with the impact… im sick tho so it could even be the other side i feel to shot to think…lol…

no, I checked for that first. Apparently that’s only got the manual trucks. and from what I have seen and read, the starter is a pain on a 4x4 cause the front drive shaft runs there.

yea actually i remember that now, the starters on the drivers side, i took off the 4 allen bolts to drop the driveshaft to get it out, either way theres deffinatly somewhere to look in there…

remove all the flex plate to torque converter bolts, unbolt the engine from the transmission, push the torque converter back into the trans away from the flex plate. pry the engine and transmission apart with two pry bars, put two large drifts or big chisels to hold them apart an inch. the nearly 3/4" the torque converter slid back, and the 3/4" worth of large chisels gives you nearly 1 1/2-2" of room to remove the crank shaft bolts with a wrench and then finish loosening them with a ratchet wrench. used to do this daily on military hummers.

Ok, I should have the truck to my place tomorrow so I can start looking it over and see what I can do. Got some pictures tonight of it at my friend’s, although it was dark, so I lightened them a little.

Ok, got the truck home, and got a starter from the u-pull ($14) and had it Tested at Autozone (free) But I ran into an issue trying to get the old one out:

How do you get the top bolt of the starter? I have tried several ratchets, extensions, bends, and such, but still no go.