Advice wanted - finding source of rattle

Goddam VW… What a love/hate relationship… So I’ve got a really obnoxious rattle coming from the left side of my dash that I cannot find. I’ve had my dash torn apart twice trying to find the source of the thing but either I’m a tard or it’s coming from somewhere else or a combination of both.

Do any of you have a good technique for finding elusive rattles/squeaks/creaks/etc? Or do you all just drive Japanese cars and not have to worry about it? :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s a combination of your car sucking and being a VW product.

squeaks can be small broken welds.

Your best bet is to find a parking lot where you can consistantly cause the rattle. Then while having a friend drive creating the rattle work from the passengers seat and see if you can pinpoint it.

This is what I did to find an occasional rattle coming from under my truck’s dash. Turned out a small module had come loose and was bouncing off an air duct.

Were you molested by a VW when you were a child? You sure do have a lot against them for some reason.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Good idea about going to an empty parking lot to constantly cause it. Unfortunately have a friend driving won’t work because it’s somewhere to the left of the steering wheel. Thanks for the tip though.

He knows its gets the vw guys attention and he’s an attention whore, thats all :wink:

Jeller

Keep in mind the pitch of the sound when you’re looking for it - the higher the pitch, the smaller the object is that is causing the sound.

Drive through a parking lot while your girl is giving you road head and see if she can pinpoint the noise…now thats multi-tasking.:biglaugh:

If you really cant find it make an appointment, as much as I hate doing squeaks and rattles I just got a new set of Chassis Ears and I am dying to try them out. :slight_smile:

find an area that brings the squeaks out, drive many times. :gotme: self-expanding foam has stopped many a rattle in some of my shitboxes before.

I just got a new set of Chassis Ears and I am dying to try them out.

? explain these plz?

and blah blah veedubs suck and some such. :roll: :lol:

? explain these plz?[/QUOTE]

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ste97202.html

Haha I think if you were to hook up those “ears” to a VW with 80k+ they would start smoking and sparking…

Thanks for all the advice guys, and thanks for offering to look at it but taking a VW to a professional for noises would be like, well, I can’t think of an analogy but let’s just say you guys have better things to. :stuck_out_tongue: :tup:

:tup:

:tspry: very cool!

Turns out I think I may have been looking in the wrong place. Did some reading on the Vortex and found that I’m not the only one with the same rattle. (Surprise) It suer as hell ounds like it’s coming from inside the dash, but some others suggested it may be in the A pillar or might even be the VIN plate rattling. Well, I’m gonna have to get creative if I want to reach the vin plate, but I pushed, wiggled, and punched the A-Pillar and haven’t heard it since. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll have to go hammer it over a bumpy road a couple of times and see what happens. That’s usually a surefire way to get her going again.

Thanks for the tips guys.