Ah great... Broke my laptop (kinda) ... Help?

Any help is appreciated. I was trying to copy my Firefox profile to the laptop and now I get a blue screen (registry error) after Windows loads normally. Safe mode loads fine. Here is what I did:

I copied the folder on my desktop located at:

C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

This is where the profile (bookmarks, etc.) for FireFox is stored.

FireFox was closed. I copied it to the corresponding folder on my laptop and deleted the old profile folder (right click, delete.)

Then I ran FireFox to see it it would work… I got an error saying “FireFox is still open and needs to be closed” which wasn’t the case.

Then I read this on their website:

Important: The profile folder names must match exactly for this to work, including the random string of 8 characters. If the names do not match or if you are restoring a backup to a different location, follow the steps below.
Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles | Firefox Help

Yep, should have read that to begin with but no big deal I’ll just follow the steps after I restart my computer…

… And now it won’t start properly.

I’ve uninstalled FireFox, re-installed FireFox, installed CCleaner to see if I could fix the registry and nothing works.

Any ideas?

After you uninstalled did you do a search in your registry for any Mozilla keys?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla] and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mozilla] and delete anything under there.

I’ve never screwed with my registry directly so I have no idea where to search it.

try uninstalling with revo uninstaller

I just uninstalled it again but I have a feeling it’s not going to help.

system restore? Also what you were trying to do, firefox does natively with Sync. Also when firefox installs it installs a new profile (I’m pretty sure) each time.

Can’t system restore in safe mode :frowning:

I did what Boxxa said and deleted any mozilla registry keys after an uninstall. Still won’t work.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Wait, now it’s telling me I can use restore in safe mode. Trying that now.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Hummm…

System restore worked. No idea where I read that it wouldn’t, but fuck there goes 2 hours of my life I can’t get back, lol.

Why not use chrome? And you can import export profiles in all browsers… Lol

Lol, yeah it definitely works. If you’re using Vista/7 it can also be done by the recovery console partition.

Should use the Mozilla App xmarks to save all bookmarks…

I was a big Firefox fan buy then it finally got too bloated. I love Chrome now.