Alternator Shorting - Need help ASAP!!!

Hey guys, I have a 1991 NX. When I bought the car it needed a new alternator, as it wouldn’t charge the battery. Also, they battery and brake light were lit.

I replaced the alternator and it ran for a month, then the lights came on again. Turns out the power wire that goes onto the alternator had burnt right off. I mean the wire was in two peices at the crimp (of the loop that mounts onto the alternator).

So I replaced the power line with a 4 gauge wire with a 80 AMPS fuse direct from the battery. I started the car and it ran fine, but after about ten minutes the fuse went. I took the alternator off and inspected it and the plastic that seperates the power wire from the body of the alternator was toast. I figured the alternator was faulty, so I replaced it.

After installing the new alternator, I started the car and let it run for a while. I only drove down a few blcoks and the fuse poped AGAIN!!! I have completely lost at what to do. As far as I knew the alternator fuse was 75 or 80 AMPS so i don’t think it’s the problem of using too small of a fuse.

This is my daily driver and I work about 45 mins away from home, so I need some help as soon as possible. Thanks in advance all.

Without sounding like another Mark comment, Dustin suggested it’s a loose
ground somewhere causing the alternator to short out.

The one time when I can actually say check your grounds… someone says it before I do. :frowning:

Already did that. Any other suggestions???

definitely sounds like a dead short.
otherwise, something is drawing LOTS of power…

Sorry, a dead short?

when i first did my motor swap i blew the S*** out of my alt from a bad ground to the starter… the only thing i can suggest is that you check over the whole grounding system, not just the ground from the negitive on the battery to the tray, or from the tray to the motor. Even inspect the grounds everywhere. from the block to the firewall and what not. make sure everything is in a positive contact. and if there is any rust that will cause a prob.

if that does fail. check over your wireing for any loose connections.
sorry if i cant be of more help.

also when i did cook my alt. i had blown the main fuse on the intake side. im not sure how the engine relay setup is on a nx2000. but you mite want to try some tinfoil or to jump the main fuse and see what else is causing the problem, when i first had the problem and i jumped it. it just got red hot. that is when i knew the alt was having a bad connection. it was just generating and had no where to put the power.

good luck

Also check the regulator harness that plugs into the alternator, the 2 wires that go to the harness check the voltage with the car running, they should both be giving off 14v or so, if one or both wires are not working that means the regulator is not working which can cause the alternator to overcharge which would explain why you are blowing fuses. If there is no power to one or both wires follow the wires back to make sure they are not shorted or broke.
If that is fine all I can think of is a bad ground as mentioned before, just check continuity of the alt ground wire, just because its hooked up doesn’t mean its properly grounded.