Another LS1 VS LT1

I’m planning a third gen F body engine swap and i don’t plan on keeping the engine stock, obviously. i have heard different things on each

lt1 has a higher power handling
ls1 is lighter
lt1 is cheaper but you pay for what you get right

i know the ls1 is faster and more powerful stock but i heard the elle teh jaun has more distributed torque curved between gears

the car will eventually be mainly for drag racing and i will be doing a turbo

if any experienced DIYers could help that would be much obliged

I’m sure this is going to stir up some ls1 fanatics

LT1 can hold more power because of the block being iron vs. Aluminum for the LS1. EVerything alse about the LS1 is superior. There are plenty of stock block LS1s making 700+ Hp the wheels without issues.

As far as the LT1 having a higher power handling I would say FALSE. Yes it is an IRON block, however all LT1’s except the Vette ones are weak 2 bolt mains. Even the 4 bolt main LT1/LT4 blocks don’t secure a crankshaft as good as the Gen III design.

LS1 is lighter

As far as torque the LS1 makes excellent torque. If you want a fast car without all the LT1 problem get a Gen III engine. I would get a standard SBC before an LT1. Bang for the buck is the 6.0L Iron Gen III blocks, they are around $750 brand new and have been proven to hold over 1000 rwhp with ease. Even stock aluminum blocks can easily hold 700+ flywheel

Fuck that BS about the LT1 handling more power…

LT1s are crap

My old car went 12.1 with a bolt on LS1…find a LT1 car that would do that

wanna buy a 3rd gen? all set up for an LS1 already, just need a motor and tranny :slight_smile:

LS1 heads > LT1 heads. Flow & valvetrain… stock for stock or in aftermarket $ for $.

LT1’s don’t make more torque, or have a better torque curve, or any of that nonsense. They make peak torque lower in the RPM range, so they feel “torquier.” Most cam only LT1 setups are going to be about on par with a bolt on LS1, if that.

about the comment of 2bolt vs 4bolt, whats wrong with 2bolts? if your building a drag car and the motors coming apart id assume your goin with a new crank etc, why not take the extra step and put splayed endcaps in there? imo 2bolts with splayed endcaps are a much better option then a 4bolt. not farmiliar with lt1/ls1’s, but cant you get spayed endcaps for the lt1 as well? i dont see anything wrong with using an lt1 its nice to see something other then the norm.

there is nothing wrong with it.

but dollar for dollar you will get more out of the ellis then you will the elty.

v8’s suck

There will be a lot of MONETARY benefits from going to an LT1 in a 3rd gen.

Same motor mounts as 305/350 3rd gen.
Will bolt right up to the tranny.
You can use the same exhaust.

How much are you looking to spend?

go ls1 if you are planning to mod it.

Go lt1 if you want cheap stock fun, but with a side dish of ignition problems.

i have yet to find a high horsepower/Tq setup up over 600+ for my LT1, i know there is a kit for about 8grand that gives a LS1 780hp on 8Lbs i believe…(well you need to spend another prolly 4grand after for piston/rods/sleeving + other shit) i found the aftermarket for LS1 to be better than the LT1, a New LS1 w/ a T56 will run you about 3500 and a new LT1 Will go about 1800 (under 25k) it really decides on how much you want to spend but if i had the money i would swap in the LS1

how come noone ever talks about the gen 1 small blocks.
Tons of power to be made cheap, if you can deal with 10 or less mpg.

wouldnt a crate motor cost more than a LS1 or LT1 combined?

Gen I would be my first choice in a 3rd gen.

yeah cheap and easy power. no doubt there. I have owned the LT1 and the LS1. I’ll take the LS1 all day simply for ease of working on it. granted in a third gen there’s more than enough room. As Matter said if you want to mod it get an LS1. The after market keeps getting better and better for them.

quoted for truf

All the fast FI cars running NHRA/IHRA are LS1. They are bad ass

Maybe 600hp crank ls1 here :slight_smile: stock short block.

I’d go ls1>genIII>genI>LT1 for power and cost in mind.