Another possible solution to online ass-hatting

This might not be necessary…yet…but I have another suggestion which could always be implemented later if necessary. One way to cut down on a lot of e-thugging, mindless drama, and generally counter-productive behavior would be to require members to put their full legal names in their profile, and/or make that their username. When people are anonymous they do all sorts of crap they wouldn’t normally do. It makes people more accountable for their statements.

This isn’t an AA meeting and people say they want to meet other car enthusiasts in the area…so why not use real names? This has worked great on other boards…

Oh btw…Bush just signed a bill into law that says you have to use your full legal name when sending an online message deemed “annoying” so we’d be comforming with the law. No I didn’t just make that up:
http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?part=rss&tag=6022491&subj=news

-Mike

:gay:

Yeah I saw that law to. It made me lol all-over that place. I have no problem with posting first names, and first initial of last name. Beyond that it’s kinda iffy to me. But that would definatly cut down on e-thugging. But what would prevent someone from using a false/someone elses name?

NABR is the other board that comes to mind. You get invited on by someone that knows you…so there are no issues with false names.

Fuzzyfish why does it get iffy when it comes to having your LAST name online?

call me Psycho

You realize this is exactly the problem that everyone is complaining about. You made two posts, but haven’t said anything.

the whole street racing and such and having full names attached to said events.

:gay: = the idea of putting full names on here

i shouldnt have to explain that

It’s an online forum. Who’s to say anything you post is real? I have 2 kids from the neighborhood locked in my basement. Come find them. Here’s some help: my user name is the same as my NYS license plate. Don’t believe that? Ok, fine, I merely have a modified exhaust and I speed alllllll the time.

Which of the above statements are true? Who can tell? Do you see me worrying?

Those kids are getting restless, I have to go give them more sedatives. I’ll check here for replies in a little bit.

I see what your saying^ but its in the phone book, or online somewhere… whats the difference?

find my full name on line or phone book

nice thought (and i an for it) because i would attach my name to all of my posts (not many) but i do not think anything will happpen.

My full name is already on all the autocross results that are available online, so I don’t care either way. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to find the only Fiero that shows up at every event.

Yeah - that’s not going to happen.

And no, I don’t want to be anything like NABR

Great resource - biggest online DB for DSM stuff - also biggest online dickheads for mods. I respect them - but I don’t want to run a site like that

They are a bunch of fuckfaces over there but their system works. I don’t think this is the place for that either.

i think the first name and last initial would do. but putting your full name is just asking for problems imo. a lot of guys have a lot of cash invested in their cars, and being able to tie an address to that would probably help out thieving fucks. im sure theres a few on here.

:word: Agreed. If that was requried it would cause many more problems than it would fix. Plus there would be alot of people that would just not wanna be here anymore because no one wants that.

the old endyn site was like that. a well run well moderated site with some of the best automotive tech i had ever read.

what the fucking fuck is going on here? what is with all the bitching about the site lately. it was fine. why is there this new string of “things have to cahnge”

i still can’t believe beck is banned. or anyone for that matter… well… maybe that soloIIscoob kid, because he talked shit.

Seems like there is ALOT of crying lately.

because no one cares about becks drama. if he stuck to posts like his custom interior thread he would still be around.

we have a lot of users that know all sorts of shit, and instead of sharing it and adding to the boards tech section they post nonsense.