Another Speed Kills Article

Saw this article in the star 2 days ago, the line that catches my attention is,

“If you are a parent and your garage has three sets of tires and a car with enough gauges to fly to the moon, you are at risk and putting your children at risk,”

Parents urged to put brakes on street racing
TheStar.com - News - Parents urged to put brakes on street racing

Safety experts stage fiery explosion to hit home on the danger of nitrous oxide use to enhance the speed of souped-up cars

May 14, 2007
Tess Kalinowski
Transportation Reporter

Emergency workers and safety officials are taking the war on street racing to the home front.

Too many parents are either unaware or turning a blind eye to the souped-up cars in their driveways that have the potential to be killing machines on the road, police and fire authorities said at a news conference Friday. “If you are a parent and your garage has three sets of tires and a car with enough gauges to fly to the moon, you are at risk and putting your children at risk,” warned Brian Patterson, president of the Ontario Safety League.

He joined a demonstration at the Toronto Fire Academy of the intense 8-metre-high flames that can be instantly ignited in a car crash by even a small tank of nitrous oxide.

Street racing has killed 35 people since 1999 in this province.

The compound is used as a speed enhancer by street racers. Highly explosive, it is often hidden under seats or in the trunk, posing a risk to emergency workers or good Samaritans offering help at a crash scene.

The substance is sold legally, but Ontario has introduced legislation that will make it illegal to drive a car with nitrous oxide on a city street – with a potential fine of up to $2,000 or a six-month jail sentence for offenders.

The message is very simple, said Patterson: “Speed kills. Those tanks have no place in your garage or in your car.”

Cars used in street racing often are registered to a parent or grandparent, with a teen or young adult listed as an occasional driver on the insurance policy, said Mark Yakabuski of the Insurance Bureau of Canada.

But nobody in the family will be covered if the car gets into an accident, he warned.

“When you modify a car and you do not inform the insurance company, you have nullified your insurance,” he said.

Most street racers tend to be males between 17 and 24, said York Region police Sgt. Dave Mitchell. But you can’t stereotype their cars, he said.

“It doesn’t matter what you drive – you can have something bred for racing or you can have your mom’s Dodge Caravan and still be an illegal street racer,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell said Ontario’s tough new street racing law and increased enforcement is helping reduce the problem but it hasn’t been eliminated.

Also for most collision related articles, the Star now see fits to add,

Police do not believe street racing was involved
at the end of all their articles.

Most street racers tend to be males between 17 and 24… But you can’t stereotype their cars

that’s the stupidest quote, how can you stereotype the driver?

in most cases, i dont bother with civics, it’s the middle age male driving a hemi / german tuned amg/m/S series car that has to show me how much he paid for this car by trying to race with me at the light.

shit like this gets me so mad.

see this pisses me of people bitch and complain how many street racers have killed crashed blah blah blah… how many ignorant drivers have crashed in total … you cant compair.they blame us for little kids stupidity also… its stupid… how many dumb drivers, older adults/seniors etc have killed mashed people/drivers… whats that percent??? do you hear or see that on tv? no one ever says that… they say speed kills well so does old age and ignorance but do we get tickets for that no! why cause its easier for them to signal us out … just a easy way for cops and others to look good and blame it on us… they think the licence level shit works and it dosent cause they all idiots…

they say street racing has killed 35 people since 1999… well how many seniors have killed crashed since then?? im sure 5 times that much… how many crashes deathes from other people since then? im sure 100% more than street racers… like come on… get smart make a plan that will actually work… stop blaming your ignorance on people who dont do anything … its a hobby. most of us dont race… call in people ask them what they can do to reduce street racing… and im sure everyone will tell you open a track for people… have track days for people to go and **** up there cars… itll slow it down. but just leave us alone when we go… simple!

Since when have we expected the media to be rational and non-sensational?

Canadian news is becoming more like the US Neworks; they try to scare you at all times…

I swear “they” try to make everyone mindless sheep without an individual thought…

Sad, sad days we live in… :S

Yay I’m an at risk street racer :). I have rims on my car, 2 sets in the garage, stock intake in the garage, my 350 cams and spacers in the garage, tools in the garage. WOOHOO I’m a road Hazard!!! :mad:

Man this is annoying. Was in Markham Saturday. Saw a Stang being followed on McCowan. Cop turned around and followed me until I turned into Dennison I hate it and I drive a damn 4 door. I could imagine what some of you other guys go through.

haha today i passed by on the same road…the same cops aabbouutt 4 times…i dont seem to get bothered for my car…they probably thought i was retarded tho driving back and forth

cops are gay, media is gay, reporters are gay, and people who street race like idiots are gay… simple…

what i dont understand is why they are cracking down on modified cars if “you can’t stereotype their cars” and i bet most of the 35 people killed since 99 were killed by idiots driving “mom’s Dodge Caravan”

yeah for instance… look at how alex drives each of his minivans… case and point

I’ll admit i’ve been a pretty big ricer in the past with my parents’ echo and golf. But i have experienced an epiphany several months ago and have since then changed my ways.

-AMEN BRUTHAS! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!-

*** tool…

After 7 tickets and a licence suspension… ive changed my ways… only track and hidden areas discovered by my hung hing brothers

3 tickets in my first 5 months…

T-T very tool-esque.

5-6 tickets, 8 warnings and license suspension

Yeah… I’m a “safe” driver now. But I’ll still do spirited from time to time…

never got any tickets other than an improper muffler which im fighting. thats cuz im a very safe driver.

Love the way you handle your van underground CG.