Street racing crackdown: 50 km/h rule, OPP plane

Post your comments. There is already a thread, like this on SON240.

i think that that’s absurd to charge someone going 50km + with street racing…dangerous/wreckless driving…yes…i just think that this is over exaggerating the situation, how often do you really hear about street racing accidents(that truly are and aren’t pinned that by the media)…compaired to other collisions which are caused by other reasons…or gang violence and shootings and drug related crimes…i know there’s a lot of problems with young drivers who are ignorant about how dangerous street racing really is…and it’s an issue that should be dealt with…but i feel we have greater problems in society at hand that should be put before this situation…rather than targeting innocent people who have a passion for their cars and tuning them, and have no interest in putting anyone else on the roads in dangerous situations

But one thing i do agree with that is coming out of the airplanes patrolling is controlling tractor trailers from using the passing lanes. They should also crack down on their wreckless driving, they carry a huge responsibility with the tonnes of cargo that they are hauling, yet they drive like idiots as if they’re in sports cars. personally i think there should be separate roads for tractor trailers, or they should not be allowed out of the far right lane on all roads unless to make left turns or take a different highway cut off. But…thats just my opinion

Honestly now, I don’t feel like getting SR swapped in anymore. More power & faster car would make me want to speed more.

Whats the point in having a 300HP+ car if you’re never going to be able to make use of it. I mean, i’m not a speed happy go over 50KM/H+ every damn road kind of driver, but once in a while on the highway, in the passing lane with no cars in front of me, I like to push my car once in a while. Especially when there is a slow bubble of traffic and, you see a huge opening in front of them. But that doesn’t mean, I treat the highway like its a video game (Maximum Tune) weaving in and out of traffic. Honestly, if you notice people that weave in and out of traffic, you don’t really get anywhere, especially on the streets.

Also, if you drive anywhere along the 400 series, on a non-rush hour time, the average speed drivers are clocking is 130-140km/h and passing lane, they do about 150km/h+.

I agree with the 50km/h rule applied on city streets and neighbourhoods, but on the highway, isn’t it supposed to be alot safer than the streets? No pedestrians, distractions, etc.

Just my two cents.

its all for public appeal, politics, blah blah blah.
they’re crucifying drivers because of a select few idiots. There are WAY more accidents caused by drunk driving than street racing, but they want to make an example out of it. ITs all to win a popularity vote and make it seem like politicians are actually doing something. THe plane = YES, the new laws = NO.

You are overlooking the fact that they have made it significantly harder in the past few years for drunk drivers. Moreso than street racing actually. I agree that it is not stringent enough but there is only so much you can do without trying it and they seem to be trying it all slowly.

I don’t agree with this new law and what the cops are doing. I am against it. People that know me know that this law will be hardest on me.

yeah this new law stops the popcorn from popping =P

this new law is not bad, its good for stopping the retards in their beemers from flying down city streets like retards. the main thing though is that they should raise the speed limit on the highways because some people go 100 and some are going 140, the difference is hard for drivers to maintain a decent speed especially when theres some old lady going 100 in the fast lane. same problem goes for the HOV lanes,

The plane definetly sounds like a good idea but if its only gonna be 1 plane they then need to ask for more money and get 1 for each highway. I was in europe this summer and some of you probably know hope fast people drive there but any1 heard of Croatia or Serbia? LoL didn’t think so their speed limits have been 120 since the 1980s and now 130 on highway and there is no cops so most people just do 160+ I agree its not safe but people there eighter learn how to drive and get out of the fast lane when there is some1 coming fast on their tail or they crash and burn.
xtngshZ i hear u man i thought about doing a sr20 blue bird swap for my altima of turbo the ka but after i took i ride in my cousins 350 whp ka-t 240sx i gave up just much lag and once boost this you’re doing like 120 km/h less than u can say holy shit this thing is fast, I’ll just sell it and get a ford probe gt then I wont have to worry about speeding tickets.

^ LMAO!

either way, if i were to sell my S14, i’d rather get something better, even if it is faster. a Z33 would be nice. always wanted one, still want one.

IMO, my S14 handles and drives so much better than any of the other cars i’ve driven so far, (economy class-middle class) (i’m japanese-bound though “manufacturers”), one thing i am seriously considering for a daily driver is something with NO POWER, but SUPER GAS SAVER since i live far away from the city.

but hey, lets be realistic here, i frankly don’t got the funds, so i’ll just keep it.

like what the founder of TRIAL in japan said, he wants to drive a car daily that gives him no reason to speed, get tickets, go faster, drive crazy. and its true, when you’re in a hybrid compact like an insight or a vitz, yaris, it doesn’t make you want to speed cause its so damn slow anyway, no matter how much you push it.

gimme a echo and I’d have it in the shop weekly.
not because its a sucky car or anything (i heard they’r great)
but gimme a car with 90hp and I’ll kill it trying to get it up to speed.

I dont care what I drive…I expect a minimum rate of acceleration…
if I dont get it…I break the damn car…by taking all she’ll give at every light, stop sign and on-ramp…

when the warrantee is up the Alti’s gettin turbo’d or S/C’d cause even teh 175 she’s supposed to have is NFG.

I drive everywhere at around 15k over. the 400 series get 30+ over at all times.

I tried doing the speed limit for a while… but I couldn’t get over having to stoop and scoop after my drivetrain.