OPP nails 85 year old street racer

Actually, this is pretty dangerous being near dealth and behind the wheel but the best part is, OPP isnt hitting the target and sadly the fatalities will still stay up there.

IDIOTS

Natalie Armstrong

TORONTO (Reuters) - A new law meant to help crack down on young Canadian street racers in their souped up cars has nabbed an octogenarian in his Oldsmobile.

The 85-year-old man is one of 2,300 drivers across Ontario to be charged under new legislation, designed to combat “street racing, stunts and contests,” since it came into effect three months ago – and he’s the oldest.

The man was pulled over after allegedly driving 161 kilometers per hour (100 mph) this week on a main highway north of Toronto, where the speed limit is 100 km/h, Ontario Provincial Police said.

“It really doesn’t matter the age of the person or whether they’re trying to race another car,” OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley said on Friday. “The consequences of the crashes and the laws of physics are always in effect.”

Under the street racing legislation, a person is charged if they are driving 50 km/h more than the posted speed limit.

“Street racing was probably a bad title for it, extreme driving probably would have been better,” Woolley noted.

Under the legislation, the 85-year-old could face a minimum C$2,000 ($2,000) fine. His license has been suspended and his car impounded for a week.

Woolley said that, in the case of the 85-year-old, a police officer driving in a marked car saw the Oldsmobile and tried to get the driver’s attention, honking her horn and waving.

“He flew past her,” said Woolley, adding he was going about 140 km/h at the time – and then speeded up.

When he finally stopped, the man told the officer he was going to the bank and planned to go shopping, Woolley said.

“When she informed him that his car was being impounded for a week, he said: ‘God damn, you’re not taking my car, are ya?’” Woolley said, adding the man later apologized for swearing, and the officer drove him to the bank.

Until this week, two 75-year-old men were the oldest to be charged under the law. The youngest is a 16-year-old woman. Most are men in their 20s.

I bet he’s going to get a heart attack when he sees what his final fine amount will be.

i dunno why everyone calls it street racing

the law doesnt call it street racing… it’s considered a stunt

and it’s still stupid

160km/h on the 407 is nothing so serious that your car deserves to be impounded on the spot

especially given that the average speed is already 130

What pisses me off is that she was trying to get him to slow down to let him get away with it, you know that if it was a young person he/she woulda been pulled over right away.

do you think that when we are old enough to be politicians, or when people from our generation are politicians, that there will be less bullshit in politics?

i guess i am asking, do you think it is generational, or do you think it is just that politics is full of people who just want to distract the citizenry with bullshit laws?

^^^OBAMA in 08^^^

Thats just the way it is, you can make anything the next crime wave if you call it in to the Police and Global TV enough. The media is the worst, there is lots to report on in this country and around the world. Lots of stories untold.

But street racing is spectacular, the crashes are big news. It just doesn’t have the same panache when an accident is caused by some fat fuck scarfing down a burger while driving or some airhead txting on her pink RAZR.

No doubt, its all the politicians. The generation in power now were alive during the muscle car era, the horsepower race. In thier time the the “scene” was probably bigger then what exists today. Street racing was just something you did, you didnt have to worry about suffering for the next 10 years for getting abit roudy on an empty highway or a deserted back street.

They went through it, they were/are enthusiasts, but they dont care, why would they?? We’re a incredibly small population, we cant do shit. Make us look bad by relating every car accident with street racing and modified cars so the general public looks down on every lowered import with a loud exhaust they see and make themselfs seem like their heros by seemingly making our streets a safer place for everybody AND why not rack in millions of dollars in fines while their at it? Win-win situation.

It will always be the same way, they cant control the guns, stabbings and gangs on the street so they make a big deal out of something that the public knows is there and real. Turn the focus on us, bring in rediculus laws so they can harass us without consequence and nobody’s the wiser.

now if he was in a sports car it would of been street racing and instead of trying to wave down teh car the she probly would of waitited to see how fast seh could book him

I don’t understand how they can call it street racing when there is no other car involved? If there is no other car involved who the hell are you racing? NO ONE! Therefore it’s not racing. What are they going to say? You were racing for fastest lap time? WTF?..it’s just plain speeding. If you double the speed limit then it’s careless driving. I just don’t see how they can call it street racing if there is no racing involved. So if a cop pulls me over and is giving me a ticket he is upsetting me and causing me mental emotional distress which is a form of assault. Can I charge him with assault? And because the ticket is going to raise my insurance which will set me back financialy causing me to alter my lifestyle can I sue him? NO I can’t do shit! So why can they say I am street racing if I was just speeding? Totally stupid if you ask me.

…But it’s still funny that it happend to an 85 year old man LOL. But it would of been a lot better if he was actually racing someone! That would of been awesome! I could just picture it:

When the police officer asked the 85 year old man what was the motive that caused him to drive like this he replyed “It was that little punk with the civic, I kicked his ass, next time he should know better then to pick a race with an Oldsmobile! Damn ricer!” When the officer told him what he was doing was against the law the 85 year old replyed “What do you got under the hood of that crown vic? A 302? let’s line them up!”

Oh man I’m bored and my imagination is going crazy…sorry guys.

At least Woolley clarified and understands:

“Street racing was probably a bad title for it, extreme driving probably would have been better,” Woolley noted.

i wish my grammer was this good :slight_smile:

I bet this “street racing” law has not even caught one person who has been “street racing”. It seems like the only people who are getting caught are not even close to being street racing. Maybe they should reconsider their entire thought on this one, as it hasnt even served its main purpose, and its pissing off the people who did vote for them last time around…

the purpose of calling it ‘street racing’ is political.

no other politician with be opposed to anti-“street-racing” legislation. therefore it is an easy notch on the belt for whom takes up the agenda.

It has nothing to do with organized street racing.

When the politicians are sitting around the table figuring out what bullshit to spring on us this year they have certain criteria…

1: Must be an Easy Win
2: If it isnt an easy win we need to be able to modify the cause to make it an easy win = turn dangerous driving (subjective) into street racing
3: Must generate revenue… ltos of it
4: gotta be somewhat sexy… speeding woot!

It’s true. By calling it street racing, it will help them increase the number of “street racing” racing cases and help them with any bullshit law that they want to pass next time.

Of those 2300 people that were caught or whatever, I bet maybe 1 or 2 were actually racing.

But then again, if they were really racing, you’d see it in the newspaper.

hello?

our kitchener record had a breakdown of the demographics in a november article. at the time there were 1300 charges approx and some thing like 18 senior citizens were among them…

I laugh thinking about the courtroom the day they read the charge of street racing and a little old silver hair stands up

OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley should be a physics professor.

Why?

Because then there’d be one less pig on the streets :smiley:

I think the only reason it’s called “street racing” is some cop (possibly Woolley) threw the term out there and it stuck because the media jumped on it.

I think Andrew mentioned the physics thing because that’s become Woolley’s infamous theme - “breaking the laws of physics”!

I’m pretty sure that may have been Julian Fantino, mental midget