Speeding senior escapes street racing penalties

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/02/21/ot-harding-080221.html?ref=rss#skip300x250

Speeding senior escapes street racing penalties
Last Updated: Thursday, February 21, 2008 | 7:08 PM ET
CBC News
A 76-year-old eastern Ontario man will not have to face the hefty fine reserved for street racers, despite being charged under a new law designed to crack down on extreme speeding.

Norman Harding of Pembroke, Ont., was clocked by a police officer as travelling 130 km/h while passing a vehicle in an 80 km/h zone in January. Speeds of 130 km/h or more are considered stunt driving under a new Ontario law and conviction carries a fine of $2,000 to $10,000, along with six demerit points.

However, on Thursday, assistant Crown attorney Robert McGowan reduced the speed on the ticket to 129 km/h, dropping Harding out of the stunt driving category.

“I’m not a stunt driver and never was,” Harding said. “At my age, it’s not something I’m going to start to do.”

Harding pleaded guilty in a Killaloe, Ont., court to driving 129 km/h. He was fined $340 and will get four demerit points. He said he has learned his lesson and will stick to the speed limit from now on.

However, he also said the street-racing law was not meant to be applied to seniors driving to a doctor’s appointment.

His friend Douglas Biggs also doesn’t believe Harding should have been charged in the first place under a law designed to reduce street racing fatalities among young drivers.

“The police are a little out of control I’d say,” said Biggs. “I have total respect for law, but they’re going a little overboard.”

Despite the outcome of the case, OPP Const. Mark Mackisoc, the officer who stopped Harding, said he has no regrets about laying the charge.

“The charge was definitely warranted,” he said, adding that the speeding legislation will be interpreted in a variety of ways by the courts.

As a result of the stunt racing charge, Harding’s vehicle was immediately impounded and his licence was suspended for seven days.

I think that is total bull SHIT! these ****ers all wanted these stupid laws to get enthusiasts then when they get hit with what they wanted they cry like little fags and get let go. if they let him go cuz he was old then they might as well be racist and arrest every cuban they see and claim they were peddling coke.

Wow, that’s fcuking unfair.

ERAARAAARAARARAGSUGASUHAHAOJAALHSLKHDS i wanna A****D8dS f****alfkslflajflajfljfeEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Now that out of the Way en A

looks like you just had a serious case of terrets :stuck_out_tongue:

Anywho…I agree with Pat…letting him off was unfair. I think that if they are going to enforce this law, they shouldn’t let anyone off, no matter what. Excessive speeding is excessive speeding, whether you are racing agianst another vehicle or you are late for an appointment.

My suggestion is that if anyone gets caught under the same circumstances, take it to court, ask for a reduction, if one is not given like the case above, contacts a human rights lawyer as it goes directly against the Charter of Rights and Freedoms as it discriminates agaist age, or at least you could argue that it does.

I have this court in 1.5 days LOL

IVAN!!! Use this as your argument as to why you shouldn’t pay this fine.

Case Law is a beautiful thing.

Just like he said this:
“However, he also said the street-racing law was not meant to be applied to seniors driving to a doctor’s appointment.”

You say something equivalent.
ie. This street-racing law was not meant to be applied to teenagers on their way home by themselves late at night.

I’m telling you 110% that this new law is unwarranted, and a violation of the Charter of Rights, just like I told you before in Chatbox. The smart judge let him off on this absurd law.

pat ull be the first to know

do us a favor and set a precedent… please!!!

edit: hahah shit im a noob :stuck_out_tongue: fixed

“precedent”

But anyways, yea good luck ivan! I was thinking about the violations of charter when i read about this. Best of luck in court bro.

the key statement said that annoyed me is

“The police are a little out of control I’d say,” said Biggs. “I have total respect for law, but they’re going a little overboard.”

the police werent out of control, the guy was doing 50 over hence no better than someone 18 doing 50 over. granted the plea bargain more than likely has something to do with his age and his driving record of course. no one in their 20s will be able to get the same thing because we couldnt have physically been driving as long as a 76 year old.

logically if you really look at it, i havent noticed any people in tuners being pulled over for the new law, its usually some soccer mom in a minivan or some business man in a Beemer.

all that aside tho, i cant say i hate them for implimenting the new law, lots of people get out of line by speeding on the highway, some of which are ACTUALLY dangerous for the rest of us on the road. my only thought is that they should raise the speed limit on the highways, people go 120 anyway so its a waste of time to try to enforce cars to go at 100.

my 2 cents

Did you manage to get it brought down?

I just called to see what happened because i didnt manage to get ovether because my car broke down in the midddle of 404 ,
but they just said its reajourned to may 14 10 00