more street racing law bs

http://www.leftlanenews.com/canada-30-mph-over-speed-limit-is-street-racing.html

Anyone driving 50 km/h (roughly 30 mph) over the speed limit should be deemed a street racer and have his or her car seized, Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino said Monday. Last week, we told told you how Ontario’s Attorney General said police in the Canadian province have the right to seize and crush any car modified for street racing.

The fine for road racing rose ten times in May to a whopping $10,000. The move came days after a taxi driver was killed in Toronto when a Mercedes struck his cab while racing another luxury car.

“I’m advocating that if you speed 50 kilometres over the speed limit, you’re racing,” Fantino said, according to the Canadian Press.

“And then we should apply the racing laws to that and seize the vehicles and do whatever else is necessary. We have to stop all this.”

Fantino said he visited Ohio last week to study how police there use planes to catch dangerous drivers. He said he watched police take down eight “high end” speeders in 30 minutes. He wants to bring the idea to Ontario.

“I don’t know that we’re going to have a whole lot of difficulty here, but I wanted to do all the homework, look at all the ups and downs, pluses and minuses, and then put my case forward to the decision-makers,” he said.

Planes used in Ohio to catch speeders cost $380,000 each.

Last week, Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant started a heated debate over street racing when he said police had the right to seize and destroy any car that has been modified for street racing — without a warrant.

“We will seize it and you will never see it again. We will crush your car, we will crush the parts.”

that’s so gay

lol planes … 380 thousand each… he forgot we not rich like ohio… unless it comes outa his pension

The planes are a huge waste of taxpayers money, HOWEVER, this is nowhere as retarded as the bullshit Bryant was spouting. You have no business going more than 50 over the limit. He set a good number I think. That’s 90 in a school zone, 120-130 on normal streets, and 150 on the highway. If someone is ripping it at 100 through my subdivision, I HOPE the son of a bitch gets a 10K fine.

fuck that

police chases for life now

faggots!

unfortunatly, the only vehicles I see speeding like that through the city are usually cops…

can someone please kick up a stink about how poorly they drive on average and how they should be setting the example rather than driving on their cell phones or computers.

I agree. A 10 k fine is reasonable for 50 over. There really is no need to go that fast. I don’t think it should be considered street racing though. That is gay as hell. They just want to catch a whole bunch of people that do 150 in the fast lane on the expressway so they can inflate their numbers on how many evil streetracers they got off the street.

very good point

If you a badd boy you always on da run!

Thats called dangerous driving, just incase you werent aware.

It is currently a law.

Just incase you werent aware and all.

Being from woodbridge, and all.

Not street racing.

50 over is a bs if it is called street racing.
for example you are on the 407 say or 401 late at night driving home or wherever you are going. It could be driving anywhere a roadtrip to montreal is another example. You are speeding driving 150 in a 100 zone. A lot of us would be lying if we said we never drove that fast. But how many times were you racing someone. I am sure most of us would say never. I don’t street race but I would be lying if I said I don’t speed. If you are in a 40 zone driving 45 you are speeding so we all speed. I know I have cruised at that speed before. It does not mean I was racing. In daytime traffic it is not uncommon to see drivers on the hwy driving 140-150. If you start handing out bs tickets for 50 over saying that you are street racing it will bring alot of disputes.

Sure fire way of not getting a BS 50 over street racing ticket is to not do 1.5 times the speed limit. Seems pretty easy to me.

Exactly, anyhow you guys are over reacting… at least with Julian Fantino he doesn’t seem as blind as the other people running their mouths with no idea. He did observe 8 “high end” speeders (the benz, bmws etc i’m assuming) and hes not stereotyping modded cars for street racers he seems to at least understand street racers can be anyone.

I like how everyone does not condone street racing but as soon as there are “some” guidelines purposed that are reasonable people cry some more. I rather Fantino purpose some guidelines for the street racing laws that are reasonable for the cops to enforce than for the cops to run around with an insane amount of power to use on “their” discretion just because you have a modded car.

It’s the other clowns that are talking about modded car = street racing we all should be scared of, those fuckers have no clue and can go fuck themselves.

LoL, I LOVE how much of a tool you are. The fuck does it matter what they call it? Stop posting for the sake of posting.

You must not get out much. Thats a fairly common speed in the fast lane anywhere in the GTA. Residentially, yes agreed, they already throw the book at you.

But the highway? 100km/h is a joke and a relic from the 1950s. Back when heavy, unstable cars had skinny bias ply white walls, no abs, solid axles, horse buggy suspensions, no airbags and no fuckin seat belts.

It should be raised to at least 130!!!

Hell whenever I go to Germany, the recommended speed limit is 130, everyone is doing and alert and crisp 150-160 and staying focused. The cars are well maintained and the drivers are all yield the left lane immediately, so there is none of this swerving through traffic BS to get around unlicensed 3rd world idiots :slight_smile:

No! cell phone users should get slapped with a $10K fine, they are dangerous and apparently too broke ass to go Bluetooth.

i consider it over excessive speeding , wreckless , dangerous , or just getting home fast.

Any ways

I’m writing a proposal for CTV a Pulse24 to set up a debait between this

Anyone care to share some politcal views
?

anyone care to go on tv?

You don’t understand, it’s the PRINCIPLE. How ludicrous is it to give STREET RACING tickets to people who are only speeding?? Sure, you may say that they shouldn’t be going 50+ over the limit anyways, but how can you just say, as car enthusiast/tuner, in more or less words that this law is ok? With attitudes like this you are now becoming an observer instead of a participant for the solution to the problem.

exactly

I’m on the 407 everyday doing at least 150

the problem with ontario is that they really, really HIGHLIGHT anything and everything we are having troubles with.

they put it in the spotlight and get all the older folks worked up.

If they are actually able to do this, and continue to take cars without warrants

say good bye to a lot of the the rest of our rights , slowly ,but surely/

If they pass this law and I’m driving around at some odd time of night and a cop radars me at above 150 on any highway. Their no way I’m just going to pull over to get raped in the ass with “Street racing charges” so they can take my car. Their going to have to chase me… and i think allot of other people would run too.

They should have more specific rules governing certain places for higher fines such as in the downtown core.

Cars racing on the highway shouldn’t be charged the same as cars racing in the city.
People racing in a straight line on an empty highway or country road should be charged differently than ones cutting thorough traffic.

If they want to stop “street racing accidents” they need to get to the problem which is badly disciplined/ skilled drivers .

How many times have you been cut off in the fast lane by a slow driver while going with the flow of traffic by sum one who never checked their mirror or has no ability to judge speed or distance ?

How many times has sum one almost turned in front of you in an intersection and you had to brake because they either didn’t look well enough or again couldn’t tell your speed or distance and thot they could make it?

Ontario needs more strict standards for Driver licensing. All the current driving tests teacher you is how to apply the written “Rules of the road” but you don’t need to know anything at all about actual driving to pass.

Ontario should have ministry run programs stricter than the private run companies currently in place (E.g AMB driving , Young drivers ) These could be a strong help in teaching drivers the proper way to drive, But people who actually teach the in- car lessons usually don’t force you to do all the hours the certificate requires if any. The Ontario government should heavily fine individuals that forge driving records.

All in all the big problem is the undereducated drivers / immature drivers that think they are in a need for speed game and have no real idea about the limits of their cars. They are the ones who get a rush from accelerating until they pee their pants. and cutting thorough traffic as if the cars were pylons.

And why crush the cars ? they should sell them and give the money to charity atleast if their hell-bent on taking the cars away.

sometimes i do 260km/h bymyself

am i streetracing?