QEW Speeders....Beware...

I went to Toronto this past weekend. As many of you know, Canada has been claiming to give out rediculous speeding tickets and even tow your vehicle when you break 50kkph over the posted speed limit. I have seen two cars get pulled over in front of me. I got lucky because the lights came on about 1/8 mile in front of me and I was cruising well over 100mph. The OPP now has undercover cars that dont look anything like a police interceptor. They also tend to sit on the side of the road and tag with Laser. Those long highway stretches are their haven. Becareful. You have been warned. :burnin:

Yeah, I heard something about that. Stuck to 120kph or less this weekend…

Canada Introduces $10,000 Speeding Ticket
Ontario, Canada applies street racing penalties to motorists who are not racing anybody.

Premier Dalton McGuintyOntario, Canada Premier Dalton McGuinty today announced that being caught driving 50km/h (31 MPH) over the speed limit will automatically trigger “street racing” penalties – even if the accused motorist is driving alone on an otherwise empty road. The change in definition will, in effect, turn ordinary speeding into an offense that can carry a $10,000 (US $9305) fine and up to six months in jail, making it one of the most expensive traffic tickets in North America.

“If you choose to break the law, we consider you a threat to our public safety and you’re going to face stiff penalties,” McGuinty said in a statement.

In June, McGuinty cited the importance of combating the “organized crime” of street racing as he urged passage of the Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act which created the $10,000 penalty. The change in definition also means that the word of a police officer is all that it takes to confiscate a car and driver’s license for at least seven days.

“There is no appeal from, or right to be heard before, a vehicle detention, driver’s license suspension or vehicle impoundment under [the street racing] subsection,” the Safer Roads Act states.

McGuinty also announced a proposal to hire 55 new traffic police officers and purchase a high-tech surveillance airplane in an attempt to rack up several of the expensive new fines.

:picard: now that weed is decriminalized they need to waste their time on something else

Whats the speed limit on open stretches, somewhere around 60mph right? So you could get that for going 90. Ouch. I’ve broken 90 on the QEW with both a '78 Pontiac Grand Am and my mighty '83 Accord, two cars that are slow as shit:biglaugh:. Fun time is over I guess.

its honestly needed so many people die on the qew and in street racing accidents in canada

well if they didn’t, Canada would suffer from over population…

Reason china and India are so over populated? Everyone rides bikes over there.

Darwin>dumb drivers

so what am I to learn here?

next time I need to get to canada fast, take the bike so they won’t catch me.

this socks. I usually do ~110 on the q

why don’t you just move to canada
you are there every weekend

damn when i went to toronto this year i averaged 98 mph :frowning:

that sucks. I’d always average 90-100mph on low traffic trips to TO.

Noted.

Blowsssss.

I always use to book it on the QE.

Thanks for the heads up. Used to make amazing time going to Detroit cutting across Ontario. Glad my buddy doesn’t live there anymore.

I got a speeding ticket on the QEW coming back from TO in december. Right around hw420 I think.

Minimum fine is $2000, 1 week suspension, and car impounded. thats the MINIMUM.

They just aren’t fucking around anymore. It’ll make a difference.

That sucks. I miss the days of never cruising below 100 on the QEW and doing Rochester to Detroit in sub 4:30 hours.

$10,000 (US $9305)

I’m going to profit from this.

Yea, me too. I did that drive every week for almost 6 months. I would probably average 100 mph between Hamilton and Windsor. I actually got pulled over once for going that fast, and the cop let me off with a headlight ticket! Thank god that drive is over…

hmph i used to do well over 100 yrs ago, but i guess im just growing old, i dont even take my detector anymore since i dont want $400 to get crushed. i think its silly, the speed limit is 60mph but most people cruise at 70-75, so if you go for a quick pass youll definately be way over 30+… lame

not that i condone excessive speeding, but a $10,000 fine for 30mph over is ridiculous. i don’t go to that country or speed that much anyway so i don’t really care i guess.