Any electricians in here?

Need a few simple things done. want a couple grounded outlets put in, as I will be putting a/c in the room in the summer. let me know

i used to work (and will be again very soon) at a hardware store and had to tell people how to do this stuff all the time. its not that hard if you would like mayb i can help you out, dependding on when you are doing it. let me kno

what is it that i have to do?

i was told i could ground the outlet to a water pipe, but there aren’t any nearby

ahhhh u gotta make things hard!!! haha. are there any other outlets around that are grounded?

water pipes are good, so it a earth ground…other than that you will need to run new power which is a PITA if you have finished walls

seen as your not gonna be needed these untill summer, the ground stake )or earth ground as auttiquattro calls is) might be your best and easiest option. you can pretty much forget about doing that now

ground steak? i’m not familiar

its a 3rd floor apt by the way.

and i’m trying to get it done soon, as I have a lot of other projects to do before summer

uhhhh… ground stake isnt gonna work then. this could be harder than i thought…give me some time to think about this

get a harpoon gun, high tensile copper cable, and fire a spike into a tree, then run your wires to it, and there you have a grounded aparment and a Zip line to escape from the po-po :slight_smile:

ok, i have learned I can’t post and drink lol…I didn’t even understand my own post, as for your situation, are you sure there are no earth grounds in the box (copper wire) either way a outlet is grounded…thats what the white wire is, does the ac require a mechanical and earth ground?

lol nice. I assume you will need the Outlets in exterior walls which are a pita to old work in anything especially since you are on the third floor. id say run extension cords but if thats not possible you should get a eletrician in there because they know their shit.

damn dude i thought the white was negative and the ground was green wtf

white is negative and in some wiring green is ground, but in others it is just a bare copper wire covered by a thin piece of paper

are you saying white is the ground in this sentence?

either way a outlet is grounded…thats what the white wire is
thats what i was referring to

He should just hope the building doesnt have tube and knob or that other old shit that just has cloth covering the conductor. Depends on how old the building is and where you want the outlet. if you have an attic space above you then you could get power from a Jbox up there which will have a ground. I hate splicing into other outlets because theres no room and little wire to work with. If the wall is impossible to old work then you can mount “wire mold” to run the wire thru and mount the outlet in a “wire mold box.” You can mount those to the walls with ZIPITs (these are gods gift to people mounting things to drywall or plaster). The Easiest and cheapest way would be using an extension cord. lol

Got a circuit breaker box in the apartment? I bet you do, and 20 bucks says your circuit breaker panel is grounded, so if that’s anywhere near where you want this grounded outlet to be, just run your wire from there. Odds are that you’ll be adding a circuit breaker and tapping in right there and running your wires from there for an AC outlet anyways.

im assuming that the circuit break is in the basment of his 3floor apt. so that idea prolley wouldent work

Is there any old laundry shoots or anything like that that you could throw the wire down? Apartment buildings are always tough to wire.

If your renting (as it appears you are) make sure you have permission from the landlord to do this. If you don’t he can actually keep some of your sercurity deposit because you are not a licensed electrician and even though your upgrading the electrical, he can question the quality of your work.

Like everyone else wrote, you may be just better off running a extension chord with a surge protector. You’ll get the outlets you need and you won’t be ripping up drywall to do it. It won’t look as appealing, but it may be the easiest route to go.

I suppose you could even just buy some grounded outlets and replace the old outlets and just don’t hook up the ground on them. But if you decide to go that route, why not just buy some three prong adapters??

the circuit breaker is in the basement

there aren’t any laundry chutes

the nearest 2 outlets are in the kitchen, and power the fridge and the microwave. I don’t think I could have anything else on them, as when I tried to have the toaster and the microwave on at the same time it blew the surge protector

i have a surge protector, but that wouldnt do any good since it wouldn’t be grounded, right?

you guys were probably referring to putting the surge protector into a grounded outlet though huh

also there is a small attic space above me. whats a jbox?

Just ground it to a gutter :stuck_out_tongue:

jbox = junction box

Attic, now that might work. Do you have access to it? If so, go up there and look for a metal or plastic box that has a bunch of wires running to it. Also look to see if there are any walls that you’ll be able to drop wires down. You might have to remove floor boards in the attic or insulation and you’ll need to know generally where the walls are in your apartment so you can find them once your in the attic. The big thing is the junction box though.

since i live on the 3rd floor the attic is just a small space, im pretty sure it wouldnt have electricity