Anyone a member of Toastmasters?

I’m going to join the local club here at work…
I can do classroom presentations fine, but If I ever have to talk to
the whole group at work, I think I would probably turn beat red and start fumbling.

http://www.toastmasters.org/MainMenuCategories/WhatisToastmasters.aspx

So, anyone here a member, or have to do a lot of public speaking?

No but I’m tempted to join you. Wonder if anyone has had success with the program?

I just took a public speaking mini-course at UB. I’m decent at it but always get all sweaty-palmed and nervous, so I wanted to practice.

There’s a toastmasters group at Praxair?

i used to hate public speaking… ive done 10 or so seminars since moving… it gets better… especially when the material is well known/rehearsed.

I still get the sweaty palms and nervous feeling, but not as bad. Now its more enjoyable… showtime!

I know a few people who are in it they really enjoy it…

If I get some free time I will sign up.

I’m the president of a club down town and hope to be an area govenor next year. I’ve been a member for over a year and love it. It’s helped a lot especially with my sales pitches and spontanious speaking skills.

There’s more to it then just speeches. We also have leadership programs as well which can be completed.

I run the Greenhouse gases club(didn’t pick the name), we meet on Tuesdays at noon at the HSBC Atrium (across from the arena).

Edit: Yes there is a club at praxair I forget what day they meet or the time.
Double Edit: it’s also something really good to put on your reviews at work. When you complete our programs we’ll send you a certificate and notify your employer as well which is really cool.

We do. It’s open to all but does not get much attention.

I had a public speaking class in undergrad… It was annoying and by the end of my final speech, I was basically just looking down and reading a paper. I have much since improved from that point, but still no where near as good as some.

I sat in on a meeting and the Table topics section was interesting.
You have to give a 1-2 minute speech at the drop of a hat with no time to prepare at all.

public speaking classes don’t hold a candle to what toastmasters can do.

Tables topics are a lot of fun too.

My public speaking class was a joke.

The meeting I sat in on was funny headlines…
Headlines were provided, and stories had to be fabricated.

Then they were compared to the actual story.

that’s a good one i’ll have to try that with my club some time.

Theres one of these at HSBC, ive been meaning to check it out. My public speaking is decent but will have to be better if i hit the career advancement im shooting for.

yea theres one at the center on tuesdays at 4pm. I think theres is called talk it up tuesdays and then theres mine at the atrium at 12 on tuesdays.

You should come check it out.

Maybe I will. Beats doing work.

It’s official, I am now registered :slight_smile:
And it will only cost me $6/year.

Maybe my 1st speech will be something along the lines of… Hair, It’s over rated.

lol

Who else is in it at Praxair? Anybody worth impressing?

lol its a nice change of pace and breaks up the day.

Congrats! I take it work is picking up the tab?

I’ll be there. You will have a lot of work to do if you want to impress me.
I do not know the non R&D people, we don’t get out much.

R&D picks up the dues for us. Other groups have to get their managers to approve the $54/year (I’m told, most all do) or pay out of pocket. Then the club charges $6/year for activities, supplies etc…

used to teach at an automotive college, never really had an issue with public speaking. if it were a huge hall, first time might get my goat, but once you’re rolling it’s good.

its 27 for dues renewals plus 20 for the new member kit if your a new member and then your club may charge something on top of that. Though depending on when you join inrelation to when renewals are, it’ll be prorated

We charge an extra 8 but hsbc picks up the tab for everything including the local dues.

Its great when a company backs us. Things go so much more easily.