Anyone Ever Have Tint Problems With Cops?

Hey, so this weekend im gonna put some tints on my car. I do not know what to go with…For those of you who have tints, have you guys ever had problem with the cops pulling you over?

I’m thinking about going 20% all around. i see a lot of cars that have really dark tints, im assuming they are 20 but I dont know if I would get in trouble with the cops.

I was considering 35% but its too light for my liking

I had 25% all around. Wasn’t dark enough for my liking, but dark enough so that people can’t see your face at night. I wanted dark so people can’t see my face during DAY!

Previous owner put the tint on the 350z. Never had a problem with it. I drove it for almost two years before a cop was an ass and gave me a window tint ticket. It’s only $110 non-moving violation. I still fought it off though, the cop was wearing shades, LOL.

I have 15% all around with the back glass at 5%, and 20% on my T-Tops.
When I’m rolling up next to a cop and see one from far, I roll down my windows.
If it’s raining outside or for various other reasons I can’t roll down my window, I turn on my interior light. My tinter gave me that trick. He said the light shinning from the inside out will give the glancing impression that the windows aren’t tinted. It’s been two years so far with these techniques that I haven’t gotten a ticket.

In some situations, visibility in the night is hard, but most of the time it’s normal. When I drive on roads that I know, there’s really no concern. When I drive with car fully open and the Windows down, I don’t really feel much different than when I’m driving with the car all closed up. After a while you just don’t think about the tints anymore.

^How’s the 20% on T-top? I’m thinking of what % I should tint the top. I’m thinking 20% for everything. Front side window, rear, and t-top.

^^^ well most Z32 T-Tops from the factory already have factory tint permeated into the multiple layers of tempered glass. I’m not sure what car you’re talking about, but if there’s already tint then it’s probably best you go lighter than the rest on those parts. It was also a suggestion of my tinter, but the tops were tinted lighter than the rest and they look just as dark as the back glass.

Mine’s completely untinted as far as I can tell.

i had 2 layers of 30% all the way arround on my camry (= ~10%)
it was hella too dark at night when trying to parallel park or just backup.

once I visited a friend of mine up north, we sat in my car at 12noon with the windows up and people came over and sat next to my car on the parking stones, they leaned up against the door to talk while having their lunch…
so ya…dual 30%…tooo dark.

i had 1 layer of 30% over the already tinted (30%-ish ) sunroof…big improvement as the roof lets in a boatload of light.
1 layer of 20% is plenty dark.

I did get 1 “tint too dark” ticket in 5 years of having the car,
but I got tagged at a ride program when my driverside power window was broken…but otherwise I would have gotten away with it had I been able to roll down the window.

I plan on single layer 20% or 25% for side and rear window, and probably 15% for t-top.

Dual layer is way too much

Dude don’t get 20% all round, that is some major darkeness for ya.lol it will definately attact cops especially if you have a silver car, it offsets the tint.

You won’t belive this i almost got a ticket for tint on my BIKE!!! fugg, for my wind wiser shield on my bike, Derry & Brittania cop “is that tint on your bike” me “ahh what” cop “is that tint on your window” me “haha” cop"whats so funny" me"its not a window" Cop [looks pissed] says" okay im gonna have to give you a citation for a heavily tinted see through DEVICE" haha, after that i was like “okay but make sure to get the name right wouldn’t want to give the wrong ticket now would you, i mean what would the judge think” lol cop changes the subject “how much percent is it” me “ahh Ramon whats the tint on my bike ?” Ramon[friend] “ahhhh loooks like 40%” hahaha, me"yea it probably looks dark because it night and the THING is small" the cop though i’d be stupid enough to call out the name so he could jot a ticket down for the wind wiser sheild.

anyways, what im saying dude, is if you really want to get 20% all round be ready to be pulled over during summer, and have all the best possible excuses and knowledge about the tints.

as a rule of thumb, buddy of mine said as long as the cop can see the driver like his head or so, you should be fine, it dosen’t have to be clear but it has to look like someone’s sitting there.

ps, pcpora, dude thanks for the info about the interior ligts i guess i’ll do that when i get a ride on 4 wheels, thats very basic but at the same time its actually very smart too, its funny in todays complexties the easiest answers are right infront of us and it takes someone sane to notice. +1 dude this info was really helpful.

^You just had bad experience. Tint doesn’t necessarily attract cops, even if they can’t see you. I’ve driven plenty of times at night with my 25% and encounter multiple cops, my friend’s have told me that they can not see me through the window at all. No problems. The ticket I received was during the day.

Most of them won’t give a shit as long as you don’t shit disturb.

^^^ I think partially the type of car that you drive means something to how cops think. The 350Z doesn’t look like something a teen would be driving and they usually don’t expect a 60yo to be a shit disturber. I agree though that how you drive is the main factor on what attracts cops.

The cops do however want to see at least an outline of the driver. The cops want to be able to pull over a car and make sure that no one is pulling a gun on them. The outline allows them to see all hand movement and pre-determine the safety level before they approach the vehicle.

i had 5% tint on my rears and nothing ever happened. might depend on the cop really

Tint on the rears doesn’t mean anything. There are tons of vans out there with steel panels where the windows should be. That is completely legal. The only things that matter are the sides and the windsheild.

i have 20% and 15% in the bak and got problems what soo ever.

my fiend has a limo tint on his acura 3.2TL adn i don’t think cop ever bothered him at all, i think iam goign to go that on mu car aswell it look sick:C :drivin

da driver side is allowed a minor tint, as long as a cop can see ur face.
the windshield is better off with no tint, but u can have a bit of tint.

make sure u dont dont tint right hand drive vehicles to heavy… cops arent too fond of rhd’s in da first place, tints will just give em an excuse.

I’ve never heard of this before… But anywho, I’ve still got absolutely no plan to tint the windshield… It’ll make it harder for other drivers to see your face, where you’re looking, your hand gestures, etc.

I swear its illegel to have ANY form of tint on the windshield unless its a 5 or 6 inch strip on the top thats to be used as a sunshade (some cars have them from the factory as the blue tint)

Popcorn, its the FRONT side windows that matter correct?.. and that the REAR sides don’t matter?

– I just got tinted 30’s up front, and 15% all around the rear. Some may say it ‘looks bad’, but like I ever gave a damn?.. :wink:

Cheers!