Anyone ever rent a house?

I was just told that the company I worked for over the summer is going to offer me a full time package once I graduate in the spring as an engineer. Basically I’d be working for them in the Rochester area for about a year and half from this may and after that I’ll be going to georgia for more army shit.

I want to move into someplace bigger than my tiny 1 bedroom apartment and I’d love to have a two car garage so I wouldn’t have to rent a separate place like I am now. I only have two years left in the area from right now so buying/mortgaging isn’t a possibility.

Has anyone on her rented a house? Any advice for me? How did you go about finding a house for rent? What should I be looking for at the ones I look at?

Exactly the same as renting an apt except for a few responsibilities which transfer to the tenant like lawn care and trash, etc.

I guess I want to know more about how to find houses for rent. It seems much more difficult than finding an apartment complex and even that can be harder than it should be.

All of the links on that page fail hard. Craigslist has better info than any of the sites that come up with that search.

Mike im sending you a PM. (not about this) haha so check your inbox

House rentals are more popular in the south and midwest than in the northeast, so you’ll have to look. Local newspapers or websites are where I’d start.

ok, so no secret website that works better than the rest. I’ll have to pickup a newspaper out here, that’s one that I easily overlook.

Depends on the lease I think you’ll have to pay water, trash too.

You will also use much more energy than a one bed room apt. So you need to factor in the increased cost of rent, extra energy use, increased rental insurance and all the other expenses you usually don’t have to pay living in an apt.

A two car garage is nice…ask me how I know…:ninja:tongue:lol

Look for a local community one, like the Pennysaver in the Cap Region.

yea i figured I’d have the typical gas, water, electric, cable/internet, trash, and like jesse said I’d be responsible for upkeep type stuff. Is there anything else I’m missing?

Do places normally come with oven/stove? I’m assuming a washer/dryer would be a toss up and depend place to place.

Depends on the lease. I know some leases might have clauses saying “all existing appliance in premise are for tenant convenience only, and tenant agrees to clean, up keep and maintain including repair and/or replace the unit. Tenant who wish to use their own appliances shall inform landlord before lease signing and existing units will be removed from the premises.”

Clauses like that are there to protect the landlord from the tenant abusing their appliances. In addition and depends on the lease, you might be required to secure a maintenance contract for the HVAC systems.

I rent a house, found it in the newspaper “for rent” ads

i take care of general lawn care and snow removal. landlord comes over a few times a year to do other more involved upkeep.

I own my washer and dryer, other appliances came with the place.