Anyone have experience machining engine blocks, ***Now With Pics!!

I have an ls1 from a 2001 vette and the crank fried teh bearings which left shards of metal in the block. does anyone know what kind of prices im looking at to get this cleaned out?

1: price is indicative of damage. the more the damage the higher the cost.

2: to even give an estimate a machine shop will have to clean it and examine it in further detail as to how much boring/honing will need to be done to totally return it to factory spec.

boring can’t be done on these motors. Are the cylinder walls good? i believe the only thing you can do on the engine is a light hone. Cleaning usually isn’t too bad somewhere around $150 i believe.

I dont’ believe any othe local shops have a LS1 torgue plate for honing. The closest one I know of is Mcquillens in Rochester. Give Carl a call over there.

If you want I can take a look at the block, we’ve blown up enough of then I could tell you what it needs.

i dont think there is anything wrong with the cylinder walls but i will check again oh and thanks for the pm. sorry i couldnt get back to you i was at work but i will def call him.

i just gotta get some money together for this first hopefully it will only be about 150.00

$150 would be for cleaning. Honing will probably run ~$250… guessing.

BUMP

Finaly got around to taking pictures, 2 months after the fact.

The crank was obviously rubbing against the block, and scarred it up pretty bad imo. I also have already purchased a new crank and bearings…so…
What do you guys think needs to be done, based on these pics…

Im just thinking out loud and Im not expert but…Isnt this project going to require custom bearings if your running a stock crank? I would imagine that they are going to have to remove material to fix the issue thus making the clearance specs different from stock.

the pics make it kind of hard to see but there isnt any gouges just kind of very small surface scratches and a little bit of melted bearing on the walls…any one here work in a machine shop? lol

are the main bearing saddles smooth? from the pictures it looks like the main bearings were moving. if so the block will need a line bore/hone. I assume this was a stock engine? Mileage? Transmission? If 6 spd what kind of clutch?

20,xxx miles. bought as is for 350.00 out of a 01 vette not sure what kind of tranny or how this came to be but no intake no accessories. the heads, cam, piston walls, oil pump and remaining bits are fine. crank was damaged as well as the mains and block wall in the pics. bought new crank new bearings but need to figure this debacle out before that goes in.(if it can)

You said the crank was rubbing on the block. Do you have a pic of the main bearings, side profile of #3? And the crank, the said contact points.

If you need a stock crank, I get you one we have a few of them at the shop. Can be ready to drop in also, super finished @ 2.099/2.559

There isn’t really a need to look for “LS1 TQ plate” thats kinda a myth for a n00b. Everyone just uses a SBF as they have the same bolt pattern.