Anyone here into trading stocks?

So let me get this right, you had a large sum of money in the market which you didnt check for a year. Not only that but its invested into your own bussiness? Thats pretty funny actually

Pretty sure the company he worked for gave him some stock options.

Getting stock options is the same thing as getting a paycheck. So squandering $10,000 in options is the same thing as squandering your $10,000 paycheck.

Exactly its not like there giving it to him for free. Money is money.

Bought 70 shares of General Growth Properties a week ago… As for results- all I can say is no wonder I’m not a day trader :lol Fun experiment though!

If you bought in a year ago you would be up 700% + right now, if your still in it, stay in. You might get to 20 dollars/share then sell it.

I bought stock in Diageo, because we’re in a recession and people tend to turn to drugs/alcohol during rough times.

Oh I’m not selling anytime soon… Simon Property Group’s offer to buy GGP seemed good but talks fell through. I was hoping competition between SPG and Brookfield (the other party trying to buy GGP) would help drive the price up, but it’s been sitting at right around $15/share.

Don’t know if it will make it to $20 but I’m holding on, GGP has been in bankruptcy proceedings since April so I don’t know how much worse things will get.

Update-

GGP is crashing and burning like a mf’er. Stop loss on that ho. Lost a few $ on it though. Oh well…

Bought some AONE (battery tech) at what I thought was a good price, and picked up some Jamba Juice (JMBA) today too… See what happens to these Picks in the future.

I believe in the battery tech, the juice ah it’s just a crap shoot but the company is expanding.

Resurrecting yet another thread somewhat.

Still hanging onto AONE, but it’s still below $9/share. Supposedly they have good battery technology, but there may not be enough market to support the demand the company needs for the stock to go higher.

Bought a few shares of AAPL this week, should have gone in earlier but just opened a brokerage account with TradeKing so was waiting to fund that account. $4.95 trades with TK versus $9.95 on E Trade and other sites. Their site is easy to use too.

I have $50 sitting in ETrade that I haven’t touched. I think I’m gonna take it out and just close the account.

Diageo has been treating me well lately. Both their stocks and their products :rofl

I would like to get into this myself. But never knew how to do it. Can you take some time maybe and reply a nice little KrazyKid like explanation on how to get started?

thanks in advance!

I’ll hit you up with a book I’m reading now that explains the market and why one may want to buy stocks. It’s well written and simple. Will post title later.

Resurrecting this thread since tech stocks are in the DUMP.

AONE (A123 systems) raped me hardcore… I bought at above $10 and it’s at like below $7 now… Got out of that $hit as I don’t expect it to go up based on the competition and the way they are operating… So that risky move didn’t pay off. So much for listening to analysts and advice in Money magazine.

Hell, I’m doing my own research for long term based on some rules as advised in the book I’m reading…

Seems like a good time to buy some HPQ (Hewlett Packard) with price way below the old 52 week low of 41.xx. What with the lawsuit against the CEO and Intel stock price bringing confidence levels down in tech, thing seem low for HP and also across the board.

AAPL (Apple) is at like 238 a share which seems a bargain too.

Bringing this back from the dead… Last post was six months ago, let’s take a look at where some of this $hit landed.

HP - Hewlett Packard

http://shift518.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=767

Recall the sexual harassment lawsuit and it dropped to about $41 level… Hehe. Going to sell though if it goes above $50.

RIG- Transocean

http://shift518.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=769

Everyone knows this story… I read a couple of briefs from investment houses and agreed that Transocean would be safe from all the liabilities / indemnities etc following the oil spill. BP took the brunt, as did RIG (down to $40 something from $92) but now it’s back in the $80 range.

AAPL - Apple

http://shift518.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=765

Even more familiar story here… Lots of people saying this is overvalued blah blah but Apple just has a monster hold on the market in what it does. Whether or not you dismiss the products as fluff or overpriced ________, I don’t think the $400 level is out of reach, especially after the iPad 2G drops and people get all excited again about the camera (although it is already on competitor pads). Another example of Apple marketing genius winning over pure technical content. Also, the stock only fell 3% when Steve Jobs handed over the reins due to his medical condition- I honestly thought it would go down more at that time.

CELM - China Electric Motor, Inc.

http://shift518.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=766

Tiny company here (China Electric Motor), small market cap (like $150M), basically they supply electric motors in China and stuff. This is a major dark horse and like MAD volatile. It’s within $0.03 of the 52 week low today. Thinking about buying more… But there are lots of risks like lack of IP laws in China, not many are sure if people are cooking the books etc. But in terms of price to earnings and profit margin it seems good to hold on to.

JMBA - Jamba Juice

http://shift518.com/picture.php?albumid=105&pictureid=768

Another dark horse that’s seen pretty big swings over the past few months. I’m in it 'cause I think they are doing the right thing cutting out the “fat” from their operation and selling franchises. Hopefully that drives profit margin back up and gets investors happy again to throw money at it. On paper in terms of figures, the stock is a basketcase though. Haha gotta have the risky picks.

looks to me like you did pretty fucking good.

2010 sucked for me, but 2011 has been amazing so far. Up 25%, hoping it’ll follow through for the rest of the year.

I’m not killin’ it but I think my timing was decent on HP and RIG, where I bought in within 5% of the low points in the valley. AAPL I’m watching it rise, afraid to buy more since it’s so damn high already. Like when it reached $300 I was like, holy crap and now it’s at $360. I’m holding in the meantime.

You know how it goes though, you don’t make anything unless you sell the stock.

I sold all the RIG when it hit $80 a couple days ago. Sure it’s up to $82 now, but a) I’m not a greedy SOB and b) who was I to know that, it may have slid to $75 for all I know!?

The other smaller penny stocks (JMBA, CELM) I am just holding to “see what happens” and if I get lucky if one of the companies does a lot better and investors flock in. Kind of a crap shoot but it’s these small ones that have a lot of room to move. Unfortunately it can be in the wrong direction too of course.

gonna be selecting stocks for a class and “trading” for 6 weeks starting in 2 weeks, group with best return=best grade. should be interesting/fun

Had to do the same thing in HS, at the time Nvidia was the one to take off lol