Anyone here into trading stocks?

Ok i doubt anyone here really trades. I invested 1200 dollars in a tech company and the stock doubled in a matter of 4 month. Yesterday the stock only fell 1% which is nothing considering how much the market fell. Last night my uncle called me up and told me to buy as much apple as i could (which is about 10 shares at 247/share). Sure enough apple is up almost 10% from pre-open to right now. If you have money in right now buy apple and sell at close, its projected to go up another 10%. I think these numbers are overinflated so thats why im gonna sell. My uncles just called me again telling me how smart he is, hes made 20k today… Rich bastard.

Your uncle seems to have good taste in socks

Smart uncle should’ve bought Apple stock on Friday. What are you trying to do? If you’re going to keep bouncing around between different stocks, your $1200 investment wont be enough to cover your transaction costs. Find something long term and stick with it. Just my $.02.

Well i just sold because i dont want to get greedy. Im up 167 dollars from when i bought in. I understand 7.95 per trade does cut from my earnings. This was the first time i really went short term. Im looking for a company that i think can grow 20% in a year and put the 2600 or so i have to put in. FYI my uncles said hes gonna hold onto the apple stock until the end of summer. He thinks it might reach 400/share. If natural gas plummets i might buy into that tommorow.

interesting… hope your uncle isn’t doing any insider trading haha

I day trade and usually meet my goals by mid week. Apple was on my list this week ; )

Yeah, i’m watching CNN right now. Once im a pharmacist and can invest larger amounts day trading will be more lucrative. Right now im just learning the market and trying to make what i can make. This year is going to be a bit of false confidence because im already up 113% on the year with much more to go. If the government is going to pump money into the economy to prevent failure well then im going to take advantage :wink:

Nah hes just a lawyer. My other uncle is a stock broker in NYC. He usually relays where to invest to my uncle and dad. Now im getting into it as well. He just knows everything about the market lol and he is loaded as well.

Depending on what you day trade depends on what your budget needs to be. If you are going to day trade stocks you need at LEAST $10G to start.

I set a profit target of around $300/contract and a stop loss of about $200/contract.

Your budget will drop with different types of trades, Forex, Futures, Stock Options etc. For example with Forex a good recommended beginning balance is only $500 vs. $10,000 for stocks.

hahaa pretty sure thats insider trading

I HAD stocks in my company, about $10,000 worth last year. Checked a week or two ago, down to $1,000… FML

Nah insider trading is only information achieved through a source at the company that wasnt supposed to give it out.

BTW when you graduate and make bizzank (my sisters a pharmacist making baaankkzzzz slingin Valtrex), 99/100 times you’ll be better off $ wise letting a pro handle your cash than you spending your valuable time watching the market. You go count pills, let the money people count money. :smiley:

This is true. Making you money, makes them (brokers) money. You pay more in fees and whatnot, but to some the time is worth it.

i have not done any trading but I am all ears if someone has a couple minutes to explain the in’s and out’s of it and how it works. I hae some extra cash to invest… Any help would be appreciated…

Not recommended to anyone other than technical business/math people who can spend 8hrs a day online and watching CNBC. Half of day traders lose money, the other half could’ve made much more had they just given the money to someone qualified.

Im most likely going to do that. Brokers must be very good at what they do or else they wouldnt make money right lol.

Ill trade my 3.5 or whatever Ive got shares of Trustco stock for something actually worth a shit

right right… I use to take care of this guys house in troy, he was the first vice president of financial investments for merill lynch before it went under and I use to ask him to hook me up with information but he was like nahhh can’t be doing that.

PJB please tell me why you would invest in bank stock when almost every bank and financial company was on the brink of bankruptcy?

You know what you should sell and buy fannie mae stock. Hear thats gonna soar soon…

It was a gift probably 10 years ago. I wouldnt have bothered buying it on my own.