Anyone on here have TiVo or DVR?

I was going to buy my buddy a Tivo for his birthday today as I was on best buys website and I noticed that it was $219.I then went on TiVo’s website and it said the box was free but there is a monthly fee.I have adelphia DVR and I think it’s like $8 a mo. I thought if you buy a TiVo box you just hook it up and you’re done.I don’t want to get him a gift that he has to pay for every month.
Any help on this topic is appreciated.
D

12.95 a month for tivo.
edit: like 249.90 for lifetime service (BUT BEWARE)
lifetime service does NOT mean your life… If your machine breaks you will need to re-purcahse the service… Unless it has changed from when I did support there.
Adelphia/ TIme warner DVR= teh win IF… you want digital cable… 8 a month is less than 12.95 a month… BUT… w/ digital cable that 8 becomes like 60.

adelphia dvr ftw

Well my idea for a present just went down the tubes.Now what?lol

D

If he has a good computer, there are tv tuner cards that record directly to your computer hard drive.

No subsciption fee there.

Do not buy a Stand alone TiVo they are a waste of money. I work for DirecTV and have a friend who worked for Adelphia. It is almost impossible to buy your friend a TiVo or DVR because you would be buying him somthing that comes with a monthly payment (for DirecTV it is $5.99).
And the Stand Alone TiVo that you can buy without a monthly fee is JUNK!!! It is no better than having a VCR. If you want to get DVR for him just let him know that is what you want to do and call his TV provider pay the fee for the unit itself over the phone for him or go with him to Best Buy and pay the fee for the unit itself. But make sure he knows he will end up with an extra monthly fee on it.

bahaha adelphia FTW, thats gotta be the funniest thing ive read on here in a while.

call me D ill give u the scoop on anything u want involving TIVO or the likes.

my adephia (err time warner) DVR has been good…