Anyone tell their insurance company their car is modified?

true they came stock in alotta cars but not ours so wouldn’t all the specs be all fucked and not to mention the readings, how would u get around that? wanna do some engine work but shit like that worries me

You silly boys - he wouldn’t have to pass etest… he would have “hotrod” standards for swapped engines - they are SKY HIGH on the limits.

I’m registering my car as a hot rod when I swap the v8

you dont need to register it as anything to do the etest- you just need a letter from the manufacturer stating that block wasnt available in that car in whatever year you bought it.

^ Word.

All in all. Like i previously statted, its not a big deal. Just be smart on your deccissons. If you dont feel that it’s right to tell your agent, then dont tell them. The worst that can happen would be getting your policy revoked.

end rant/

p.s. drive safe. Its not always you that causes the accident, other shitheads on the road contribute geatly.

what is a hot rod test? how do u do it? how does it affect registration and all the mto shit? ie if u get pulled over, or insuraing, and all that shit that tends to happen sorry perty newb thing to ask but car is stock except for aluminum z32 front brakes.

are you sure? I’m pretty sure if you change the # of cylinders in a car the Ministry along with your etest place need to register the car as a hotrod…

that is another reason the SR is popular… sticking 4 cylinder negates the need to register it as a hotrod with MTO.,…

Hotrod has nothing to do with registration, its a simple letter that says this engine did not come in a 91 240sx. You keep it, bring it to your e-tests and you only have to pass 1980 standards.

As for insurance. Big problem is, if you dont tell your insurance about anything, you get in an accident (and your at fault), ie, you get some sun in your eyes and rear end someone, you mangle their brand new Cadillac CTS-V, and along with that, the old lady in the passenger seat has a heart attack and dies. You are fucked. Your insurance ajuster really doesnt want to deal with the potential lawsuit, the $70k car that will get written off, so he looks into the car…oh, whats this a V8, we didnt insure that, see 'ya.

Now the guy in the cts decides he wants to sue because his mother died, and he’s all upset over it. You have no insurance to cover the damage to his car, your car, and everything that went down during, and now your on your own.

Not a likely situation, but it could happen. Its a pretty wild risk.

Iveb een told ING is suppost to have some decent insurance, so thats my next check.

Hopefully i can get that sorted, or i might have to go with a SR20:(

haha ING is brutal! i pay 488 / month for my 4dr auto 2.2L cavvy without collision, and just fire / theft on the 240sx.

Insurance truly is a mafia

i think td insurance has some really good rates… i wana buy a 93’ 240sx coupe off a friend and im checkin around for insurance companies and im 17 years old and they wanna charge me 300/month which i guess is pretty good seeing what u guys are getting. I have a good driving record too. Not one ticket gotten so i think thats prob the case for now. I drive a mazda 626 as my winter beater and im lookin to buy a 240sx for begining of march.

getting insurance is like a good looking chick going out with a known date-rapist, you know your gonna end up getting fucked, guess you just gotta pick the nicest rapist, lol

most places you’ll fine will not touch modified cars at all. I know alot of people who have been dropped or denied coverage for having modified cars.

The worst case was my idiot friend, back when I had one of my probes he also had one. He had the jdm engine (which no insurance adjuster would ever be able to spot since it’s still a kl v6) he had springs, cross drilled rotors, cold air intake and headers. So being the overly paranoid guy that he is, he was worried about getting into an accident and being denied coverage. So he called his insurance company and told them it was modified and they sent over one of their people. He didn’t tell them about the engine swap, but mentioned the rotors, headers, springs, and intake.

about 3 weeks later he got a letter saying his coverage was being cancelled lol.All because he called and told them it was modified, in my opinion headers and springs don’t make a modified car.

But yeah when you start getting into serious mods majority of companies won’t cover you. And places that offer 19a non depreciating agreed value from an apprasial require you to be 25 or older with a clean record and another fully insured vehicle to drive. The modified car also has to be stored indoors and cant be driven to work, shopping etc etc. it would be for show/events only.

I’m only 22 so I don’t qualify for that stuff, but my insurance broker knows all about my 300ZX including how much power it makes but he’s a cool guy and doesn’t care, so mine is insured as a stock twin turbo.

thats kind of gay but ye insurance these days are a waste of money… they basically jus allow u to drive on the road cuz wen u get into accidents and shit they sometimes dont cover for ur car as they should or if they do ur insurance premium jus goes sky high.

I’ll second that action

don’t tell them because you don’t want to pay extra premiums

we all don’t want to get into accidents anyways so I’m pretty sure we’re all trying to avoid them

c’mon these are insurance companies - they don’t give sweet f#$k all about you, and if they do finally cut you a cheque - upgrades or no, its going to be nothing close to what you deserve

pcfinancial.ca - great rates - all online