Insurance - Swapped engine cars

ok, did a search but didn’t really find the answer I was looking for, so here is the question:

For all those driving 240’s or skylines with swapped engines…sr20/ turbo etc., DID you tell your insurance company what you are running, or did you run with what the vin says? (original engine)

If you told the insurance company, how badly did they screw you over for being upfront? I realize that not being upfront will result in them not covering your claim…

sr, didnt tell, just took off the spark plug cover ^^

sr didnt tell…ditto to d3boy no spark plug cover…also helps keep the coilpacks cooler lol

I told my insurance company about all the mods done to my car with a appraisal too and instead of giving me a quote they turned around and said they won’t even insure the car
Needless to say I went to a different company and said it was stock…

didnt tell either…

yea if something does happen to the car like an accident the book value on s13 is so low they almost always write it off anyways no matter how little the damage…usually they let u have the car back for a couple hundred bucks and then u get ur parts back

I see a trend, lol. Sounds like its best to not get in an accident, lol.

Insurance is a ripoff. They are happy to take all your money, but they fight you when it comes to time to pay out, if they don’t notice your mods and screw you over anyways.

Fuckers…

PS- still working on my insurance claim. " They don’t pay shipping from the states". Wait a second, I just saved you fuckers money even with shipping included. Its more expensive to buy it at a speed shop in toronto !!!

I didn’t say a word. But I took the car to Nissan and got a service tech to check the swap over and they signed a sheet saying the car was a “hotrod”. When u turn 25 and ur car has a hot rod status u pay shit all to insure the car. But with some catch.

For shits I decided to call my company as a “stranger” and see what insurance would cost if I declared my vehicle was lowered, no other changes than coilovers.

“Sorry, what does this do to your vehicle?”
“So it doesn’t make your vehicle go faster?”
“Sorry sir, we cannot insure any vehicle lower than stock ride height.”

Suffice to say, don’t tell them.

dont tell them shit. u can still get a lot of money back. more than book value. i know people who have, with modded cars they didnt say anything about.
the way you claim it is to compare to other FS listings stating its current market value, and not some stupid bbvalue.

anyways. dont tell your company shit cuz this is rapes-ville for insurance. lol just dont get into an accident that’s your fault!!!

how do we go about getting our cars registered as a hot rod? would we then be okay on a pull over with hot rod papperwork?

^if the car has the same amount of cylinders then no problem, then again I have never had a police ask to see, but MTO scares me… they can hijack your day…

if you change the # of cylinders the MTO wants to know…

I usually tell the insurance company I changed the 2.4L for a 2.0L, %20 smaller, its all how you sell it. Newer more advanced, better fuel econ motor…

Very interesting to know. My 89 s13 has an sr20 swap. I’ve never been pulled over since the swap. But it still makes me nervous when I see police behind me. Now does the insurance knowing about the swap help I’f the MTO look at your car? Asuming the engine has all original emission peices installed correctly and its registered with insurance would this be a pass from the MTO?