Anyone tell their insurance company their car is modified?

And if so, what did they say/charge you?

Im working out a LS1/T56 into a 91 240sx, and im finding now that 2 insurance companies have denied insuring me, and one other claims $488/mth!

IMO thats absolute BS, and i cant even get onto Customwheels cause im only 18.

Im going to call a bunch more companies tommorow to get more opinions.

Has anyone here notified their insurance company the car is modified?

my, company insure up to 1500 in upgrades or something like that at no extra charge, rims, sound system ect, as long as you let them know and i believe when i asked it was 100 a year per 1000 in upgrades i dont know about motor swaps of that calibre, but you will definatly not be covered in an accident if insurance finds mods not claimed that increase power

yea you can get away with it as long as you dont get into an accident…

the only engine swap i can see you getting away weith insurance wise is the sr20

Yep, its the same as camaro’s. I put an LS1 into my camaro and said nothing cause the car was a factory V8 car. This is a pretty extensive mod, so im hoping for the best when i try for more quotes

I don’t even know of an insurance company that will take a car with mods…

Maybe get an appraisal once its finished and go for a 19A policy? Thats all I can think of…

i gotta say ontario is crazy for insurance companies. When i was insuring my car they were all pretty well modified and no questions were asked and it was 100% covered

its simple. Do 3 things.

1 - Don’t tell them.
2- Don’t get into an accident.
3- If you get into an accident, don’t expect to be covered.

^ Exactly, half the sr-rb swapped 240 owners probably taking that route.

mhm… My rb is not an rb haha its a ka24e to them.

They asked if I had upgraded my hatch at all… I said no the fucking thing doesnt even have a sound system… sound system part is true, looks wise and interior wise no

If you havenn’t swapped the motors out, I thnk this is a good deal

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=377219&page=1

LS1 '89 s13 florida chassis (very clean)
T56 6spd
Q45 Fronts/ Z32 rears
KAAZ diff
180sx Kouki Tails

$7800
Located in NY

He already owns the ls1

Yea, my insurance company doesn’t know about my mods. However, my company doesn’t care about you once your over 25, and considering my car isn’t, “my car”, its my step-moms.

The benefits of 3rd party drivers! and cheap rates!

Non the less, I was still under the impression that lowering the displacement of your motor is completely fine, no?
Someone please confirm.

but u also added a turbo, if insurance found this out they can revoke the policy even after you have been in an accident, now thats not to say they would check the serial number on the motor and match it with the one on the dash but the turbo alone is enough.

technicly you have to tell the ministry as well if u change your motor so it can be switched on the ownership

I’m with Allstate… They know my car is modified and turbo charged… $90mth.

As far as they are concerned, book value on a 92 240sx is $1500 so they dont care if I spent $15,000 modifying it. If I write it off or get into an accident all I get is $1500 and the option to buy back my scraped car.

If you actually want the car insured upon its value then you need to have the car appraised but will obviously pay monthly according to its value.

^^^

perfectly stated!

my ins company was fine with the engine cuz a rb20 is .4 L smaller than the ka… lol their prob is the fact that Im ruining coilovers

All and all hey ended up having me give then a complete print out fo every mod and I had to justify everything eg: off sites to show retail of item and what it does… ended up being no dif in my rates as Im paying 120 a month for a kitted lowered turbo car … but then again my agent has always been very good to me and i think anyone else woulda got dropped… Im thru state farm and they have a real bad record for not insuring anything modified…

As stated above… get it appraised and hae it insured for that
Ill be doing that his yr after the new paint and having it put down as a show car… so very little kms per yr,

I’m 19 and plan on getting another s13 soon and turboing the ka. If I don’t mention anything to the insurance company they wont cover me in an accident? I would mention it but my insurance is high enough as is because I got a ticket a while back for driving with no insurance ya i know stupid.

Ohh ya anyone have a good high risk insurance company they would like to share? cheapest I can get is around 500/mo hit me up through pm if someone knows.

wadda bout emissions testing and getting pulled over by the MTO any mods will make a pain in the ass but putting a v8 especailly an ls1 would be fucked even though it would mad baller

Not necessarily.
A well running RB with a cat will pass the e-test.

You have to remember, these motors came stock in something, and at one point did run properly, but in most cases still do.