anyone wanna machine my wheels?

im looking for someone willing to remove about .250 material off the backside of my cast aluminum wheels to reduce offset. Obviously it will need to be indicated prior to machineing but a machinest should know how to do so with ease. Im refering to the mounting surface of the wheel to the hub obviously.

if anyone knows of someone please let me know. oh, and i only need 2 wheels done.

thanks

want to say I could try this, but I don’t wanna fuck it up. Tires on or off?

i can pull the tires off since there shot anyhow. It realy just needs to be indicated out withing probably .001-.002. im not sure what tollerances are allowed for such a thing but obviously the closer to 0 the better. Then a few passes of the lathe.

I would mill it, not lathe it…

do you have access to a mill?

Yeah, bridgeport, but it’s pretty accurate.

How is the contour of the rim face?

Newman you might be able to mount the outer lip right to the bridgeport table top its self.

Then set 0 to the inside of the rim, make ~4 passes over the surface and done.

Yeah, that’s how i planned on mounting it, maybe putting some parallels under them, but hopefully wouldn’t have to.

The biggest facing tool we have is 2" for the bridgeport, so I’d need to make a few passes per depth…

:uhh: How material will be left? I was just looking at my wheels and if I took .250" there wouldn’t be much left. Of course aftermarket wheels probably have more material for different offsets.

I think john looked at it and there was plenty.

i would NOT trust the wheel lips to offer a good zero. These wheels have been through hell and back.lol

Where would you propose a good starting point to be? Unless you just leveled it as best as possible with shims around the lip, using the inside hub to take the level off of.

Or: made some sort of chuck to mount it up to a lathe, which would be a little more difficult.

they do make a jawed chuck piece for the lathe, but even then you need the rim to be true…

well, i guess a dial indicator will have to let us know. but i wouldnt trust the lip even on a brand new wheel when machining the hub mating surface.

You have enough thickness under the bolt to pull this off?

.25 is a lot.