Approximate

Guys ok here are my choices. Either I buy a 240 for around 5000-5500 dollars and keep it all stock, or I buy a 240 for very cheap and make an SR20DET project out of it. The thing is that I am worried becasue i am in a tight budget, and I cannot spend more then 5000-5500. Do you think I can complete an SR project (just engine + full exhaust + Intake). And I got my buddy who can install the SR for me for about 500 dollars. Do you think I can manage to buy a 240 in ok condition and stick in an SR for my budget ???

Decent 240 will cost min $2000

Decent Motorset will cost min $2500

Right there your at $4500

Plus you want Full Exhaust which is ~$1000

By intake I asume FMIC with Cone Filter ~$1500

You are at $70000 + install of $500 and misc Accesories and Fluids ~$500

Total = $8000…

PS. This is not Technical

• Moved to Car Chat

if you want plastic intercooler piping, no b.o.v, and a rotted 240 etc…
then yes. yes it is possible :!:

Damn, I guess I better stick with a stock 240 or go for a GTI 16v project.

If you find a 240 for ~$1000 your willing to invest in and put a SR in then pick up a full
front clip off Varun for ~$4000 then you can do it installed for $5500 but other than that
dude I’d say invest in a nice clean 240 for ~$4000 then put the extra $1500 into brakes and suspention.

That’s what I did the 2nd time around, really regretting not doing it the 1st time around.

I dont know though, cause my buddy keeps telling me shit about 240’s not beign fast in stock form and your only option is to do an SR swap. My first choice was to actually go for a stock one, but I still have not driven one yet. Every single one ive wanted to buy was sold :? :? bad luck for me

240’s are slow… get a civic

WTF, I definitely hope that was sarcastic, casue if you say civics are faster then 240’s then this might be my last day in the forum. :? :? :? :? Youre joking right, I mean SIR maybe, but CX is slower then my dads 1993 jetta TDI (love that turbo) :smiley: :smiley:

i agree, stock 240’s are slow. and so are stock sr20’s

do the gti

OMG, you people are destroyign my dreams lol. Are you saying a 140 hp GTI 16v is faster then a 220 hp Turbocharged 4 cylinder beast.

Your friend is right, without an SR 240s are donkeys, it will cost at least $8000 for a decent 240 with an SR.

VWs are a lot faster, and are more reliable. Go for it.

You are clearly disillusioned with regards to 240s and SR20DETs.

They are not some magical being that magically makes you king of the streets or the track or …whatever.

Unless this is a secondary car to be used as a toy, which it doesn’t seem like it is, don’t skimp on the quality of the car.

SRs are possible on a budget… but you can’t expect a stock one to be some beastly godly thing that will devour anything in its sight… Hondas included.

Still though in its stock form an SR in a 240 chasis should be able to run low to mid 6s 0-60 and probably mid 14 seconds quarter miles. And I think that it is good enough for me. But the only thing that i am concerned with is the top speed limiter, because I do a lot of highway driving and I odnt know if 180 is enough :?

Bing, one of the mods on here has a 240 with an SR and almost every bolt on, including a front mount intercooler, and he bearly hit a low 14.

And he only uses quality parts, not that cheap stuff made in Korea or Taiwan.

Your friend clearly doesn’t have a 240, and has been reading too much sport compact car.

I guess my only choice is to go with a GTI 16v then, **** but I want RWD :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you want RWD, then buy a RWD car.

A stock 240sx isn’t a fast car (nor is a stock civic,) but you can make them fast. But just like any car, with well-spent money you’ll get some nice performance gains. I guess I’d suggest that you reseacrh more thoroughly than “my friend says…” I realize that’s what you were trying to do by posting here, but I suggest you check out some people’s projects with modification lists and dyno runs (or drag slips) and then estimate for yourself about how much it will cost to get the results you are looking for.

EDIT: But look at more than one person’s list, cos some people might have overbuilt in preparation for future plans, etc.

I hate the fact that people look at a 240 as a cheap car.

lets get one for $1000 put an engine in it that costs more then the car alone and be happy !! wrong state of mind man !! just pisses me off !!

theres sooo much more to a car than an engine…why not just get a go- cart and put an SR on it ? imagine the speed !!

My neighbour did that, but instead of an SR he put in a GSX600RR engine in it. Still hasnt driven it cause he cannot keep the wheels fron spinning.

Wait. Save your money.

Listen to spd-dmn. You will not regret waiting and researching for another year or so, and your finished product will rock. And it’ll be RWD. :slight_smile:

Pick up a clean 240 that you’re happy with. Decide what you want to do with it, and your actual power goal. Remember to leave some room budget-wise because things add up (gauges, clutches, misc parts, labour/installs etc). It’d be the same thing with a GTI, or any car project.

KA - 155 bhp - mid-low 16’s stock, 0-60 low 8’s (DOHC).
SR @ 7 PSI - 205(+) bhp - high 14, low 15-ish area IIRC.
KA @ 7 PSI - 230-250 bhp - mid-low 14’s or so.
RB25 - 250 bhp - high 13’s, low 14’s or so, expensive to buy & install

If I were you, i’d save up another $3,000 or so if possible. Then hunt for a good 240. Take the leftover money to Varun and get your SR20 installed. Play with it for a while if you’re near broke, and if you’ve got leftovers, get some bolt-ons etc that’ll let you turn up the boost some. You’ll probably enjoy it a lot, the process included.

Good luck with whatever you do though!

You could also buy something like this:

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=745&Region=400&subcategory=&CAT=1

If i’m not mistaking, he is a son member.