Are all 93' octane gases the same?

After having my truck done in Virginia, The owner of the shop and I were talking and I told him how there was 93 octane gas everywhere in WNY and even the grocery stores had it. He then told me not to use it and only to use the bigger name stations. I asked him weren’t all 93 octane gases the same and he said no.
Just want to get your thoughts on it. Since then I’ve only used Sunoco gas and a shell once in Florida.
Thanks

I will only use Sunoco. Back when I was tuning the S4 we found that Sunoco 93 allowed me to add the most timing without detonation. Also my Jetta TDI gets a 2mpg better on Sunoco fuel. Those 2 things for me have been enough that I will only buy Sunoco fuel.

The best place to get it seems to be the one @ Delaware and Grove in the City of Tona. 93 is $.02 more then 91 all the time and they have some killer deals to knock the price down even more. i.e. buy a 20oz pop and get $.05 off a gallon. buy any size coffee get $.05 off. And you can combine them!!!

There was a writeup about this in car and driver a while back. They tested all the gas stations. I only remember that Shell was ranked the best gas and Mobil was rated as second best.

I use Mobil when in WNY, Shell elsewhere.

That point card? God I use it all summer long when I fill up my bike. Such a great deal. And yeah I will only put Sunoco 93 or Mobil 93 in the bike, unless I’m in a jam and need it asap

I’ve always used tops 93 lol, I’m going to try sunoco for this upcoming summer. When I got tuned it was on 93 at some generic gas station in harrisburg pa. I kinda had to fill up and it was the only one around.

when you see a number like 93, it’s not the exact rating, it’s the minimum rating. so obviously there is some room for places to be better or worse.

unless you have a laptop and a wideband in your car, just get the cheapest or more convenient because you’re not going to notice a difference.

93 rez gas keeps me running lean and mean on the event I take the hit and go for it…everything else is OK.

meh, i never care… it all feels the same in the bike… 89/91/93 mobil, hess, bp, etc etc…

(my 600s always received 93 octane and my liters typically do too, but the 954 said 89 octane recommended, so occassionally id put it in, whats 20 cents a gallon when youre only putting 3 gallons in at a time :lol:)

Quick answer, no. Depending on the climate the gas is going to it will have different additives, etc. Is gas different from one station to the next in Buffalo, maybe, but truthfully I don’t know. I just know regionally it will vary.

delta, only place i can get 100 oct.

in the truck i have to run a min. 93/100 octane mix. but i get like 3-4 mpg at the most so i go to the closest place that has 93 if im low, otherwise if im near a delta sonic ill go there.

3-4 mpg?

x2 LOL

TT vipers get like at least 10

jay lenos 12 cylinder twin turbo tank engine gets like 7

Some Rez gas pumps don’t have the ratings stickers, THOSE are the one to watch out for.

X…

I saw a difference between delta sonic 93, and Sunoco 93. Delta read .1 to .2 higher at wot on the wideband from tank to tank. There could be 100 other factors in those readings though.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

i agree with a general NO to they are not all the same…but in real world usage i dont think u will notice a difference…like someone said earlier…Buffalo and cold weather states put adatives in the winter southern states most likely dont…the the likely hood of it making a huge difference has too many variables to get an accurate reading. you could be heavier on the gas one day going to work and it throws off ur MPG, its not necessarily the station u fill up with…FYI…i have seen the same ARG truck go form Delta to Tops I am sure it hits more stations too

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

None of those here, lol.

ive always like sunoco gas for anything that gets tuned

the rest gets whatever is cheaper that day