Are Turbo Cars Quieter?

everytime i hear a KA with en exhaust, its usually a lot louder then the sr equivalent with the same exhaust.

is it just the displacement of the engines making the difference or what?

I think it has to do with the turbo acting as a muffler.

bingo

The turbo charger restricts air from free flowing. Therefore slowing it down making it much much quiter.

^ Techncially, according to the letter of the law a turbo is considered a muffler.

Hence why the SRT-4 is sold from the factory without one.

And yes, that’s why.

In that case, all turbo’ed cars could technically drive without a muffler? Straight pipe awesomeness for all?!!?

sure, but good luck convincing the cop that pulls you over.

hmm interesting.

fuck my apexi n1’s then. lets get a straight pipe lol

Exactly.

I learned something today :slight_smile:

Convince a cop about what. Show the law technicality in court and you are free.

Maybe because I’m old, but all four bangers with any sort of exhaust are too loud for me. Especially turbo ones. Due to the restriction of the turbo, they drone like the zerg when they’re out of boost.

The reason 4 cylinder cars are louder than say a 5 cylinder or more, is because of the power laps.

There’s at least 60-65 degrees of the 720* degrees of crank rotation where the engine isn’t making any power. This rotation where the engine isn’t making any power is what makes the droning noise and the loudness you hear, versus a 5 cylinder engine. The 5 cylinder engine has less power lap, meaning it makes more power more efficiently. As one cylinder exits its power stroke, another one is about to start its power stroke.

This gets even better on a 6 cylinder where the timing produces a power overlap, meaning just before a cylinder finishes its power stroke, another one is just starting. This produces a smooth and steady exhaust flow, causing less drone and noise.

*I say 720 degrees because every cylinder has 4 strokes. Time everything correctly and for 4 cylinders to complete all 4 strokes, its equal to 720 degrees.

Funny…I found that my CA was louder than the KA on a bings exhaust.

Sounded mean at higher RPM and full boost. It was just as droning as the KA.

5Zigen ultra quiet for me now.

No cat you mean. They have mufflers.

I still think KA’s are one of the best sounding 4 cylinder engines.

SRT-4s have cats, they don’t have mufflers

but they do also have resonators to help quiet them down

even if behind a turbo, straight pipes (no cat, no resonator) will still be a lot louder then an OEM neon srt-4

My bad, you’re all right, I’m wrong.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO%7EV125986281%7EC38349%7ER0%7EOB0%7EP3R0H%7EN/0/89012112/97272320/101483217/103003033/34853741/100411974/34856670/34856671/34856687/105800568/105781513

Maybe that explains why SRT-4s sound like crappy…no offence but I can’t stand the sound of them. There so many pops and its so raspy.

^^ Maybe you are “a gay”?