Import Exhaust

I’m not a big import guy…that being said, do they only make exhausts for them with huge mufflers that sound like an old woman farting or a busted lawnmower? I was at the Taco Bell in Clifton Park tonight an few guys with imports were there. As they were leaving, their cars sounded like my grandmother after a pot of chili!
I was just wondering if there were exhausts that are made to sound a little more…stout or something that doesn’t seem like the pipes are all rattling togther?

So because it’s an import is has to sound like a fart can?

it’s not the maker of the car, it’s the size of the motor, and the positioning of the pistons

wrx’s make a throaty noise but it’s due to an “engineered” set of circumstances even tho it can have a 2.0L 4 cly.

straight 4’s with no turbo normally sound very high and raspy at WOT. turbo’s help to solve this issue very well

i have an import. but i my car doesnt sound like ass

heh thats funny, i feel the same way about most v8’s

Ok…understanding that a little more. So the boxer engine can produce a different sound due to the horizontal pistons. I was really just wondering if you could have a throatier sound from the typical 4 cyl…so I guess that might include American 4 and 6 cyl too

the unequal exhaust manifold is what gives it the deep thumpy soiund.

Man…that sounds awesome! That’s what I’m talking about…I’ve heard some WRX’s that sound like crap…I would def go that route if I had one of those!

You get what you pay for generally. I am only running 3 cylinders per pipe with little Rasp! Nice deep tone. I luv my HKS Hi-power true dual exhaust. I am using headers & HFC’s. Those who use TP’s have alot more Rasp.

And there’s more than a handfull of non-import v6/v8 shit that sounds like garbage. To each his own. I’ll take the nasty raspy sound of a strung out flat or straight NA six over some lumpy v8 anyday.

nuff said.

Not all import exhausts are purchased from eBay.

I’m not trying to offend anyone, just see a ton of kids around here running exhausts on 4 cyl that just sound so loud and annoying.

It sounds a lot better when it is hot. You should have taken it for a drive before making that dude. (to lakeside. Slow response)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQxgJvSRH3k this is a pretty decent sounding car with pretty straightforward exhaust work…

A turbo is a pretty good muffler and kills rasp. Most n/a 4 cylinders sound like crap because of it. Keeping the cat goes a long way to preventing it.

I had an '03 Civic ex coupe back in the day with a DC Twin Canister exhaust and a DC header. It to had a nice deep sound. But after 8 kmi it just got to loud. I forget if it had a drone sound. I think it did once it broke in… People just need to do their research and listen to the various sound clips posted online for each system and variable.

If I was rich, I’d buy the AMUSE R-1 titan titanium exhaust for my car! PURE SEX!!!

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5502#

How do you like my N/A 1.8L?

Yeah…that sounded alright

Your turbo is definitely helping that out…sounds really good!

I didn’t think my gray Civic sounded that bad. My Audi sounds awesome too, IMO.

If you buy a quality exhaust, from my experience (hondas included), it usually sounds good.
Examples I can personally vouch for :

• Apex’i Ws2 / Comptech header (b18c)
  • Spoon n1 / 18" resonator / T1R 4-2-1 (b18c)
  • Tanabe Concept G Blue / Tanabe DP / Uppipe (ej20)
  • 3" Catback “Inline Special” / Vibrant Resonator / Vibrant 3" straight through (3B)

All of which, were/do sound great. Inline 4 1.8L / Flat 4 2.0L / Straight 5 2.3L

This being said, Magnaflows straight through ~3" joints suck.
I have heard multiple members* cars on this site that would benefit greatly
from changing out the blown magna’can, and going with a vibrant or thermal research
for a little more $.

*you know who you are
/rant

I think having a turbo is a different animal…I guess it’s the guys with little 4 cyl that aren’t boosted that don’t sound that good IMO.