ASE Cert.s Question

I’ve come to a time now where I want to persue a career in auto repair. I apply at shops and of course they want me to have ASE’s. Now, I see that a “master tech” must have A1-A8 and an EP Tech must have A1,A4-A8, and L1. now, I’m confident in the fact that if I get the booklet I can pass them all. BUT, I just read that I need 2yrs of “garage/employment” experience or schooling. I have neither (well, 4mo. at Cole Muffler as a fill in job), but I’ve been working on differnt cars (mostly domestic) for 10yrs, doing basic tuneups, to scanning/diagnostics, to head gasket r/r, trans swaps, PCM wiring, engine swaps, you name it. I’m still learning how to rebuild transmissions on my own (4T65e isnt the best beginner trans Im realizing).

So you ASE certified guys/gals how should I go about it, and is there any shops you guy/gals know of/work at that will give me a chance and let me get my feet wet and start my career in the automotive industry?

there’s a few guys on here that can vouch for me as well.

Thanks!
Shawn

goodyear is your best bet. they are in a hiring frenzie from what i have seen. work your way up from there. my last boss in niagara falls was going to lie and say i worked for him for 2 years so i could get nysi but then i realized he wanted me to illegally inspect cars and i was not for that. pretty much without schooling or exp u start at the bottom

firestone is another place to consider. if you dont want to go to school and cant land a job at a dealership. although there are usually some openings at dealerships for the easier jobs (oil changes, brakes, new car PDI’s) i went to school for 2 years, worked at a dealership for the summer in between doing inspections and minor repairs. you are probably better off working from the bottom as nitro said, school is expensive and expirience is what youll need, not a certificate.

Yeah, kinda figured that, Id be starting at the bottom, it sucks…I know alot but, have no proof on paper.

Without the job time you can’t take them sorry.

I am also pretty sure that you have to be a master certified technician to sign up for the L1 test.

sumbish…welp, looks like I gotta get a job at the bottom. :frowning:

Most of the time you have to do that.