Seeking Employment in the Automotive Industry

I am currently looking for a job in the automotive field with the goal of being a fully licensed technician. I have done the automotive service technician program at Centennial College and have learned quite a few good things. The problem is that I don’t have any actual hands on experience as an employee at an actual shop and that has made it really hard for me to get my foot in the door. My experience goes as far as odd jobs for my friends such as brakes and diagnosing their car troubles. I have also done an SR20 swap on my car.

If anyone has or knows of any career openings in the field I would be very interested. I don’t care if it’s just lube and tires, I just want to get my foot in the door and get some actual hands on experience.

Thanks!

it’s pretty easy to get into places like jiffy lube/mr lube. they’ll hire almost anyone as long as you seem competent in the interview. something like that would look good on a resume later as you try to get an apprenticeship going since that’s all you’ll be doing for the first year anyway, oil changes and tires… bitch work.

where are u?

say whaaaaaaaaat?

since when were you allowed to take your three blocks of schooling without being a registered apprentice?

Like simplemind said tho, since you really have no job experiance you cant be picky. Make sure you hand out resumes EVERYWHERE. Your going to start off on the lube rack and sweeping floors no matter where you go. Thats just the way it works.

you can take a pre-apprenticeship course at some colleges, i went to first year of it at fanshawe but it was a joke. it’s not much better than grade 10 shop class.

hey man I while you would. Not going to be an apprentice right away, but where I work I know we need car jockey’s.
they often hire from within, so its possible to start this way.

pm I let you know where.

Where are you?

im in the same boat! i go to centennial college for auto (very true about it being no better than a gr10 shop class… actually worse) i want experience as well. somewhere that will do my apprenticeship papers.
help anyone?