Attempted Break In?!

Went to my car this morning to head out to work and i couldn’t get my key in the key hole. It wouldn’t even go halfway! Also noticed before I even made my first attempt that the metal flap the covers the key hole was not there, pushed aside or something…I could see straight into the hole as I approached my car. I was so frustrated! Opened the car through the passenger side, unlocked the drivers side from the inside.

This is my first winter with this car. Is this just because of the cold!?!? But the passengers side was fine and Its been cold previously this year and it was fine. I want to think that no one is trying to break in but at the same time I have to be realistic. The was no other signs of attempted break in. didn’t fully check as i was in a rush. I’ll have to check again later. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Locks can be a beotch in the winter. I guess you’ll find out later today when it warms up, if it was the cold or not. It was snowing here last night…and if for whatever reason, your lock cover got stuck open, you probably got some snow, or weather related moisture in there that froze over night.

Those little canadian tire solder blow torches are awesome for lock de-icing

It happens all the time in the cold, at least on the 2 240’s I had

Damn! thanks. so it’ll be like this all winter. opening from the passenger side. lol. I might get a remote started then.

just put some white grease on your key and slide it in all of your locks. keeps it lubed so nothing will freeze

haha shyt! same thing happened to me this morning. i had to crawl thru the hatch to open the driverside door. but i put some white grease when i got to work and the locks were just fine.

thanks guys. ill give it a shot tonight. Styln, guess we had the same luck this morning. LOL crawling through the hatch, nice.

Lock de-icer …

I guess CT is the place to head to after work. lol

it happen to me today.

damn…i got it to work again. used some white grease from CT. thanks for the help. draggone just pm’d you for bodywork quote.

Damn, happened to me as well. Both door locks were frozen. I didn’t even drive my car to work.

be carefull of the door handles too. when i used to have my coupe the door was frozen shut and i ripped off the door handle trying to open it lol im not shure but this might just be an 89 problem

wow. lets all get remote starters, Group discount!!

You guys have never had frozen locks before? Pfft never buy a VW then, my old jettas locks froze so bad one time the slightest turn off the key broke the cylinder right outta the door handle.

Lube it up, get a few tins of that lock de-ice stuff and keep one at home and one at work and you’ll survive.

my key only works on the driver side, lol so hopefully it ownt happened to me. i usually park in the garage in the winter so never had the problem

How long ago was this, I bought an 89 coupe back in 03/04 and it had no door handle. Instead there was a chain hanging where the handle bolts in.

LOL , im so happy that im not driving the s13 this winter. AND OMG VDUBS FTMFW, for some reason on the drivers side door, the lock would auto lock when the door was open, and when i closed the door ( semi slam) the lock would bang on the door jambs and then open back up lol. So basically, I would have to keep the door closed with bunjie cords. Try that for winter :smiley:

lol no it wasnt mine i replaced it then some ass pulled in front of me and wrote it off