Washing a car in winter

Its sub artic outside all the time in january.
The last thing I need is water freezing in places it shouldnt or frozen locks.

That being said, I’ve never driven anything nice enough in winter to care about the salt it had on it ect, winter beaters were always just that to me, spray the wheel wells and rockers off, call it a day.

I bought a WHITE car the other day, and as anyone with a white vehicle knows, it looks like it was driven thru a salt storm of slush.

How do I go about washing this so everything dosent freeze?

I dont have an available bay to put it in a garage.
Also it has a bra on it, if that matters for going to like delta sonic or something?

Its not anything nice enough to super worry about, but I’d like to wash it every few weeks if possible.

id just bring it to the laserwash on millersport, the bays and water are heated… keep the car running with the heat blasting and it should be fine… I’ve never had a door or lock freeze in my 20 years of western ny

i went to spray mine down the other day, figured id be the only dumb one and no i had to actually wait in line in 14 degree’s at a 5 or 6 bay bay car wash…lol…

I take mine though Delta Sonic. It got its last 2 washings at the dealership though, the first time it froze, mostly on the inside of the glass though

yea i would not be to worried about the locks freezing i washed the civic yesterday at the car wash and nothing froze.

Just drive around for a bit afterwards.

Ugh… so you like having brushes caked in the dirt and salt of the 1000 cars before you rubbed all over your paint? Might as well wash your car with 200 grit sandpaper.

As for the OP, just don’t do anything when it’s REALLY cold. If you get it washed and it’s going down to the single digits with the car stored outside expect shit to freeze up. I never have problems with it’s in the 20’s at night and 30’s during the day but washing when it’s going to get super cold is asking for trouble.

PS… the GTO has been the worse car I’ve owned for dealing with quick freezing water. The doors, door locks and parking brake have all given me trouble this year when ever it goes from 30’s and rain into the teens (a couple times this year). Who would have know the Australians wouldn’t know how to deal with subzero temps. :slight_smile:

:tup:

ctspoolintsi, I know you feel my pain, that civics cleean why the hell are you driving it in winter haha

lol got to jason car wont be ready for 2 weeks

i just go to a touchless once a week, ive never had a problem with freezing issues

I would say if you very worried about locks ect freezing. Take a shot of WD40 and spray it in ur locks or where ever you feel the need. WD40 takes care of moisture for a wile.

Just spray some CRC White Lithium Grease in all your key holes and on the latches on your doors. Last year I had a problem with my locks freezing up so I would spray them about once a week or right after a car wash. IIRC it also has a lower freezing rate than WD-40.

:tup:

ok, now that the problem is solved, what did you buy?

We actually take very good care of our brushes at work. Washing the Brushes twice a day and replacing the soap at the same time, new brushes every 2 months.

I just washed my car today…no problems yet.