Attention 5.3L LS1 People, Input Needed.

Currently looking at a car with a 70mm turbo on what appears to be a stock bottom end 5.3l. What are the things to look for on these motors in general? Modifications from what I have found are:

2000 CAMARO Z28 CAMSHAFT
COMP CAMS 918 VALVE SPRINGS
LS1 INTAKE MANIFOLD
LS1 FUEL RAIL
55lbs SIEMENS FUEL INJECTORS
LS1 WATERPUMP
LS1 OIL PAN
LS1 PICKUP TUBE
LS1 MOTOR MOUNTS
LS1 ALTERNATOR
LS6 MAF
LS6 CLUTCH

Thanks.

clutch is weak link. say ditch the maf but not a big deal. turbo doesn’t rev high so rod bolts are not really needed. it is a grenade either way but shouldbe a lot of fun.

Walk away from That setup

funny i thought you would approve maybe the turbo has to be 2000mm in order for that to happen

I say go for it you’ll be rebuilding it one way or another.

whats wrong with that setup? Cant really tell shit from those mods

Many people use the 5.3 because the block is iron and they can be found MUCH CHEAPER than the popular 6.0L. IMHO, if it was tuned well and not abused, there isn’t any real need for concern. Though, since it no longer has the original LS1 in it, I’d suspect it was abused and this motor was tossed in to make the car movable again.

how do u know its not the original motor ? he never stated what the car was

Depending on what production run those Comp 918’s are I would be afraid of them… Lots of breakage unless they are from the time period that PAC was making them.

its in a older RX7 belive the car is from Tech and think its on ebay/craigslist

5.3 is a TRUCK motor for one… The 5.7L was the V8 used in early cars with the 6.0L in the later cars such as the GTO and etc.

REALLLYYYYY WOW…thanks i’m so glad you explained that to me…but considering when sean posted he DID NOT say what the motor was in, u can not say its NOT that original motor or that it originally had a LS1 in it b4 the 5.3 is all i am saying…

When you see that it is a 5.3 with a LS1 accessory drive and F-body oil pan you know it is not a original motor for a F-body

SoLow originally had my balls in his mouth.

comp 918’s suck regardless. Not enough spring for most cams and not enough spring for a turbo car

reallly wow…all theses years i’ve been at JJ’s i never new a f-body came with a LS1…

BUT WHERE DID HE SAY IT IS A F-BODY VEHICLE HE WAS LOOKING ? ? ? ??

Unless its an aluminum one…

There is a 5.3 that came in a car known as ls4

gillbot, I think you assumed it is in an f body, which its not, it has an f body cam if you read carefully.

solow 1
gillbot 0

saab version of trailblazer used aluminum 5.3